PDA

View Full Version : Zebre Longwings Butterfly Caterpillar, Heliconius charitonia

adcolon
01-13-2009, 07:21 AM
Cambalache State Forest, Arecibo, Puerto Rico. Canon 180 macro with extender and Canon 580X Flash w/Lumiquest Diffuser. ISO 200, f/16 @ 1/250 sec. I don't know how to edit the title, but it should be spelled "Zebra".

Mike Moats
01-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Hey Alfredo, very cool critter and good details and light. Would be nice with a cleaner BG with less contrast in the light and dark areas, but I know sometimes it's tough when a subject is in tight conditions. This subject is pretty flat and you may have been able to shoot this a F/8 and keep the details and soften the BG some.

Julie Kenward
01-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Hey Alfredo, I agree with Mike on this one. A cleaner BG would have really made a nicer showcase for this little guy. I'm guessing he was out in the wild like the last one - perhaps moving the leaf away so the BG would have been all green would have helped?

The focus and details are very nice - have you thought about carrying a small black board with you to set up as a backdrop? That might help with getting cleaner BG's when you are out in the forest...

Ed Vatza
01-14-2009, 06:43 AM
Good morning Alfredo,

The caterpillar looks perfect. The background has been addressed. The white stream up the blade a grass looks a touch hot on my monitor but that may be my monitor.