PDA

View Full Version : Very very difficult id

Per-Gunnar Ostby
01-13-2009, 04:34 AM
This very young unfletched bird was sitting on the banks of the Nioungou River in Loango NP in Gabon. It was s small it could easily fit into the palm of my hand. I thought it some kind of sunbird but a South African bird exert I know guessed it to be some kind of weaver.

Any help would be vastly appreciated.

Per-Gunnar

John Chardine
01-14-2009, 11:14 AM
I would assume that weavers would have a more conical shape to the bill. This is indeed a tough one and may remain unresolved. A hierarchical approach may be useful. Can we at least determine the family and then go on from there.

Per-Gunnar Ostby
01-14-2009, 11:38 AM
It is indeed a toughy. Here is another image to indicate how small it is. and below I will include an image of the nest

christopher galeski
01-14-2009, 11:56 AM
its only a guess,but could it be some type of african wren,I am saying this because of the size,and beak.thanks.

Per-Gunnar Ostby
01-14-2009, 12:08 PM
and here is the nest on the banks of the river (actually in the river)

Roy Priest
01-15-2009, 01:49 AM
I would assume that weavers would have a more conical shape to the bill. This is indeed a tough one and may remain unresolved. A hierarchical approach may be useful. Can we at least determine the family and then go on from there.

I agree with John as to the shape of the beak. I have bred and shown weavers in the past and that is not a weavers beak. At least not the ones I'm familiar with.
As for the nest, I believe weavers nest in colonies. Are there many more nests around? As for what it is I don't have a clue.:)

Per-Gunnar Ostby
01-15-2009, 05:22 AM
It was a single nest.

Roy Priest
01-15-2009, 08:44 PM
I think we can rule weavers out then. But we are still no closer to the real ID of the bird.

Wayne Richardson
01-17-2009, 03:48 PM
After some research, I would suggest this may be a Little Green Sunbird Anthreptes seimundi which is a member of the Sunbird & Spiderhunters family. It is very small, i.e 3.54'' - 3.94'' (9 - 10cm) & widespead across a large area of Africa including Gabon. Birdlife International evaluates the species as 'Least Concern'.

Cheers: Wayne

Per-Gunnar Ostby
01-20-2009, 04:39 AM
Wayne,

thank you very much for your research. I truly appreciate it.

Per-Gunnar