PDA

View Full Version : winter sunset

Rene Quenneville
01-12-2009, 10:10 PM
It often pays to be patient. I took this picture, a 5 frames HDR, 30 minutes after sunset. I did see the opportunity on my way out of the park where I was. I did try to use the posts in the water as a leading line. Please give me your comments.
105 mm
ISO 200
1 sec f/20 increments of 0.7 E.V.

Robert Amoruso
01-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Rene,

I think you balanced the elements in the image well. The smaller trees on the left balance well with the heavier trees nearer on the right. The pilings do act as a leading line as does the graduation of light intensities in the image due to layering from FG to BG. I would suggest you clone out the red glowing light on the breakwater on the right and its reflection.

Regarding HDR technique, I see halos in the trees and the peaks. You need to use more light smoothing to help correct for that if using Photomatix

Roman Kurywczak
01-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Hey Rene,
Robert's suggestion regarding the halos was the #1 suggestion.....so that has been covered.....I too agree that there was a nice balance with those trees but will offer something that may be useful in the future.....if it was the pilings that caught your attention....perhaps moving right and going vetical.....to achieve the same seperation in the pilings that you have in this image......but eliminating the trees and breakwater....all pointing us at the beautiful mountains and colors. This may not have been possible.....but just food for thought! Once something captures your eye.....concentrate on that.

Bruce Murden
01-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Rene, I'm glad this scene caught your eye! The purples, blues, and oranges work very well together.

Paul Marcellini
01-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Love the cool and warm tones playing off each other. Very nice scene. There are a few processing artifacts as Robert mentioned. I like Roman's idea, although instead of concentrating intently on one comp, I prefer to get many variations as back-up if the initial I thought would work, doesn't.

Rene Quenneville
01-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Here is a second attempt. I fine tuned the HDR conversion and removed the light on the right side. I did try several other crops but could not find one that pleased me as much. I have several more pictures with slightly different angles, when I find time, I will try some of your suggestions.