PDA

View Full Version : sRGB and Adobe RGB

Jared Lloyd
01-12-2009, 11:46 AM
I was wondering if someone could explain the difference between these two profiles and how they effect what we see in a photograph. I have been told that sRGB is the only "right way" to post images for web viewing. Is this true?
thanks,
Jared

Dug Threewitt
01-12-2009, 01:36 PM
sRGB is the color space of most of the web, most browsers and os's. AdobeRGB is the color space of the printing industry. AdobeRGB has a larger gamut(more colors available to be reproduced) than sRGB. But, if your photos are in AdobeRGB, the extra colors do not translate to the web. Usually, they morph into the closest, much less saturated alternative. If you shoot AdobeRGB, then convert to sRGB before posting on the web, you should get the best of both worlds(this depends on having your monitor color managed). Otherwise, if you shoot in sRGB, then post online, your images will "pop" better than if you shoot AdobeRGB and post online.(without conversion to sRGB).

Probably more complicated than you need, but at least you've got a bit of an answer.

Dug

Jared Lloyd
01-12-2009, 01:46 PM
definitely not more complicated that what I wanted. I'm not looking for the basics here. Now you say that that Adobe RGB is the color space for the printing industry... is this a newer concept or has this always been the case since aRGB 1998 was created to have a larger gamut? Ive read in multiple places that few printing companies utilize Adobe RGB and instead still run off of sRGB - is this no longer the case?

Jared

William Malacarne
01-12-2009, 01:59 PM
I think most places that do printing still want sRGB...but it is always best to chech with each one to make sure.

Bill

Alfred Forns
01-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Jared do check if you are sending work out, for you own printing you would be using Abobe RBG 1998 and sRBG for web usage

My try posting an image made on RBG 1998 and one in sRBG The difference will e apparent !!! ... to make matters worse there is now Color Match RGB which has a wider gamut than the others but I believe most printers are not able to use at this time.

Dug Threewitt
01-12-2009, 03:31 PM
definitely not more complicated that what I wanted. I'm not looking for the basics here. Now you say that that Adobe RGB is the color space for the printing industry... is this a newer concept or has this always been the case since aRGB 1998 was created to have a larger gamut? Ive read in multiple places that few printing companies utilize Adobe RGB and instead still run off of sRGB - is this no longer the case?

Jared

It really depends. The commercial labs that do Lambda or Lightjet prints here in St. Louis use AdobeRGB. If I were to print at walgreens, walmart, costco, etc I would send them sRGB. If it's going to be printed CMYK, I always send AdobeRGB and let them convert to their own cmyk standard. But, aside from the web, I agree with William, check first.

Dug

Maxis Gamez
01-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Jared,

My cameras are set to RGB, I then do the conversion to sRGB (Web). I used to always think sRGB was better for my workflow but someone helped me changed my mind.

Good luck!

Dave Leroy
01-12-2009, 06:34 PM
So.. I'm confused. I thought it was best to have camera set to Adobe RGB.

Maxis has asked a good question and Dug has given a good answer, with support. But, if I shoot RAW, which I do, should I have my camera set to Adobe RGB or sRGB? If at A-RGB, when do I convert/change in the pp'n?

And if I were to switch to JPEG, which on a holiday I may do, should I have camera at sRGB?

I mainly post to the web, and if I were to get a print it would be an 8x10 at local Costco or drug store chain.

Thanks, Dave

Maxis Gamez
01-12-2009, 06:41 PM
So.. I'm confused. I thought it was best to have camera set to Adobe RGB.

To my workflow it is!

Maxis has asked a good question and Dug has given a good answer, with support. But, if I shoot RAW, which I do, should I have my camera set to Adobe RGB or sRGB? If at A-RGB, when do I convert/change in the pp'n?

And if I were to switch to JPEG, which on a holiday I may do, should I have camera at sRGB?

I mainly post to the web, and if I were to get a print it would be an 8x10 at local Costco or drug store chain.

Thanks, Dave

I would leave my camera in RGB and do my conversions later. You never know when you are going to need a wider color gamma (RGB).

The only time I change my camera from RAW to JPEG (and rapily change back to RAW) is at any family gathering.

Hope this helps!

Dave Leroy
01-12-2009, 06:55 PM
I am with you on the switching between RAW and JPEG.
So you always leave your camera in A-RGB, process as far as you can as A_RGB and then when ready to present the photo, either as print or on the web, you make a change from A-RGB to sRGB?

Maxis Gamez
01-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Dave,

My Camera ALWAYS stays in RGB mode.

For printing I make sure my images are in RGB mode from Photoshop

For the web, I make sure my images are in sRGB mode from Photoshop.

Good luck!

Dave Leroy
01-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Great. That's clear. Thanks Maxis,
Dave

Maxis Gamez
01-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Happy to help! :D

Ed Cordes
01-12-2009, 09:34 PM
I have my cameras set to Adobe RGB, but shoot in RAW all the time. I process all images in Adobe RGB and print them as such. When posting on the web the images are converted to sRGB. I also use sRGB for slide shows that will be shown on an LCD projector or HD TV. Seems like we are all saying the same thing in different ways.

Alfred Forns
01-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Dave

It makes no difference the color space set in camera as long as you shoot in RAW The color space will be determined by the conversion, you can then choose RGB or sRGB. You will want to choose RGB since it has a wider color range. Actually now the widest is Color Match RGB.

For in camera viewing will recommend sRGB. You are looking at a display behind the camera (the screen) and it id no different from any other display, images will look better and closer to what you will be getting later. Think of it as posting on the web in sRGB vs RGB. One added advantage you will receive is getting an earlier clipping warning for the whites since the range is not as much. Basically a win win proposition but the choice is yours.

John Chardine
01-14-2009, 12:29 PM
I do find it somewhat confusing to refer to Adobe RGB as just RGB, which of course is just generic Red-Green-Blue.

This has been an interesting thread, although not the first time the question has come up. Key take-home point from Alfred is that you can decided in ACR or your preferred raw converter, which colour-space to use. This is yet another reason to shoot Raw.

William Malacarne
01-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Actually now the widest is Color Match RGB.

I think ProPhoto is the widest. Color Match is very similar to sRGB except is is more for Mac with a gamma of 1.8.

Here are some sample pages from a Martin Evening book thaat may help explain some of this RGB stuff.

Pages 552 and 553.
<http: books.google.com="" books?id="0XZO93ZcbqkC&pg=PA553&lpg=PA553&dq=color+match+rgb+prophoto+rgb&source=web&ots=eNEE0jbHh8&sig=ogOxZzu1sHXIfj_DLLBcq9nDWBU&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result#PPA552,M1">
http://is.gd/fSpK

I use ProPhoto a lot but it is important to be using 16 bit if doing so.

Bill</http:>

Alfred Forns
01-14-2009, 04:47 PM
William you are correct in the Pro Photo, it is what I meant to say. My main point was it makes no difference the camera color space if you are shooting in RAW since at the time of conversion you specify the color space. Thanks.

c.w. moynihan
01-15-2009, 03:14 PM
William you are correct in the Pro Photo, it is what I meant to say. My main point was it makes no difference the camera color space if you are shooting in RAW since at the time of conversion you specify the color space. Thanks.

exactly, if you shoot raw, it's your working color space in your post processor editor (Photoshop) that determines what color space you will be using. Many do open up a raw converted image in ProPhoto RGB because of it's wider color gamut for editing, but then again, if you do a web conversion from ProPhoto RGB to sRGB you will have more out of gammet color issues to deal with. Since Adobe RGB space is smaller than Pro Photo, out of gammet color issues going from Adobe RGB to sRGB for web is less than that when going from Pro Photo to sRgb. Soft proofing is your friend.

Ed Cordes
01-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Many do open up a raw converted image in ProPhoto RGB because of it's wider color gamut for editing, but then again, if you do a web conversion from ProPhoto RGB to sRGB you will have more out of gammet color issues to deal with. Since Adobe RGB space is smaller than Pro Photo, out of gammet color issues going from Adobe RGB to sRGB for web is less than that when going from Pro Photo to sRgb. Soft proofing is your friend.

This explains an issue I have sometimes noticed. I used to open all in PhotoPro and process this way. Often the web conversion will be poor, so I started going back to Adobe RGB. If I feel I need PhotoPro I can reprocess the original RAW file.

Fred Bourque
02-18-2009, 01:35 PM
I use aRGB, and do all my processing. I keep 2 files, 1 contains the RAW image and a TIFF image in aRGB and 1 file for the web. If i am posting to the web I just convert a copy of the TIFF image to JPEG, and under edit tab (i think thats the one) I click on convert to profile and save as sRGB and place it in the web folder.
That way I have a untouched RAW image, A processed TIFF image (both in aRGB) and a processed image in JPEG format with sRGB color profile for the web.

Fabs Forns
02-18-2009, 06:25 PM
I use sRGB in my camera for two reasons: First, it looks better on the LCD, second, since it a smaller color space, It's more intolerant of white over-exposure, therefore, I will get blinkies sooner that if I were using Adobe RGB, meaning extra protection for my whites.
When I convert my files, I use Adobe RGB and only convert to sRGB for web publishing.

Best of both worlds.

I don't see any reason to use Adobe RGB in camera.

Jasper Doest
02-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Fabs, why would you convert a small colorspace as sRGB (which you record in the camera) back to AdobeRGB in PS? That doesn't make sense to me. I understand why you chose for sRGB, but converting it back seems strange.