PDA

View Full Version : Wilsonia orchid

John Chardine
01-11-2009, 09:44 PM
I don't get to this forum too much even though as a teenager over 40 years ago I did a lot of macro work with a Pentax system, bellows and all that jazz.

I had a chance to use a friend's Canon 100mm F2.8 macro and his lighting system so chose as a subject one of my wife's orchids. This is a Wilsonia. The flowers are small- about 1"/2.5 cm long.

Perhaps I should have used a smaller f-stop to get the whole flower in focus- opinions? Does the OOF parts give a feeling of depth?

I now know I will have to obtain a macro lens for myself!

Canon EOS 5D, 100 mm F2.8 macro
capture date: Sunday, 4 January, 2009 11:20 PM
exposure program: Manual
ISO speed: 100
shutter speed: 1/200
aperture: f8.0
exposure bias: +0.0
metering: Pattern
flash: ON- two flashes- one (key) in softbox and one (fill) in umbrella; black velvet BG

denise ippolito
01-11-2009, 11:49 PM
John, I love it as presented! I like the DOF chosen .The black BG adds alot to the image. Well done!

Jerry van Dijk
01-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Hi John, very nice work! Your composition follows all the right rules with a great end result! Very powerful and very balanced with the OOF bud in the LR corener. One nit: I would like to see the flower a little brighter. The image has a bit of a dark feeling as presented.
Reg. DOF: the OOF parts moste definately add to the feeling of depth which I like. I would prefer the lower petal of the central flower to be in focus, however, because in my view it is an essantial part of your main subject.
Having said that, I hope you obtain your own macro lens very soon, because I like this image very much and hope to see more!

Julie Kenward
01-12-2009, 07:08 PM
John, from the looks of this, you do need to get a macro lens! You certainly have the eye to carry off a good composition on such subjects.

I do agree that the OOF parts of the plant add depth and, with a macro lens, you'll find it's not that easy to get the focal point to stretch that far anyway. I do think making sure that orange center area was crisply in focus would have made this even stronger as that is where my eye wants to land.

I also feel the black BG works but the flower does feel a bit dark. Maybe push the midtones just a bit more to bring a little more "life" to the flower.

Again...go get the macro lens...we'd love to see more of your work around here! If you can afford the Canon 100mm f/2.8 you'll never regret buying it. It's a beautiful lens and takes magnificent photos.

Mike Moats
01-13-2009, 06:32 AM
Hey John, Get the macro lens and have some fun. Tons of stuff to shoot and you don't have to travel far for it. Can't offer anymore than whats been said, and agree on a little more light on the flower.

John Chardine
01-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Many thanks for all your encouragement and really useful comments. Here's a brighter repost. I hope it's about right.

I've posted a query on the BPN Photo Gear Forum asking about macro lenses for Canon. Any advice you be appreciated!

Aristotle Georgiou
01-14-2009, 04:21 AM
Nice shot!

I like the composition, nice light and the dark BG makes this flower stand out well.

Joseph Martines
01-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Between BIF and Macro's I have a lot to learn!

Thanks for sharing.