PDA

View Full Version : The Ghost

Dominic Cantin
01-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Hi to all :)

Here's my first snowy owl of the season :cool: there was a low snow powder ... and lying on belly to photograph the snowy , that give the effect of an intense blizzard ;) I cropped 40% of the image for the composition.

http://www.pbase.com/image/107903865.jpg
Date/Time 06-Jan-2009 10:52:54
Model Canon EOS 40D
Flash Used No
Focal Length 400 mm f 5.6L
Exposure Time 1/1600 sec
Aperture f/8
ISO Equivalent 200
Exposure Bias 0
Exposure Program aperture priority

Happy shooting !

Dom :)

Axel Hildebrandt
01-11-2009, 09:12 PM
I really like the mood, not your typical snowy owl image. I might crop a bit off the bottom.

adrian dancy
01-11-2009, 10:26 PM
I like this a lot and agree that a bit off the bottom might improve the composition. Did you take anything off the top?

Dominic Cantin
01-12-2009, 01:15 AM
Thanks for your comments and your crop suggestion that I'll consider :)

Did you take anything off the top?

Yes , there's trees ( forest ) and sky above.... in the original , the "ghost" is centered. That's why I cropped this way , to keep only the major part of snow.

Thanks again and happy shooting !

Steve Canuel
01-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Nice feel to this one.

Juan Aragonés
01-12-2009, 03:53 AM
Wow, Dominic just a few minutes ago I was writing a post to the excellent image of snowy wols that Brandon posted here and telling him that I have seen a lots of excelent images of snowy owls being posted in the web since a couple of weeks ago and that I like a lot his image for being "different" and due to its artistic quality. Well, I have to say that I think exactly the same way about your image. I like it a lot and would not change a single pixel on it. The composition is fantastic and I like the empty space at the bottom a lot and the mood is fantastic with those broken canes (?) in the middle of the frame. Really, this is one of the best images of snowy owl that I have seen in the past weeks and I would love to have this one hanging on my walls. Very good job and thanks for sharing this beauty :)

Dominic Cantin
01-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks Steve and Juan for your kind words :cool:

those broken canes (?)

Juan , in fact , it's a field of corn where the voles go to eat the rest of the corn on the ground.

Thanks again and sory for my english , I usualy speak french ;)

adrian dancy
01-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks for your reply. I think that you might be able to manage a number of interesting crops from the original image. It's nice to be spoilt for choice and agreeing with Juan it is one of the best snowy owl shots to be seen. I can't quite get a fix on the words I would choose to describe the feel of the image...haunting, evocative, mystical, enchanting...?

AD

Raymond Barlow
01-12-2009, 08:33 PM
very well done, I like the moody feel to this, looks more like fog then anything.

Dominic Cantin
01-13-2009, 12:54 AM
looks more like fog then anything.

I can assure you that's snow raised by the winds ;)

Thanks and happy shooting !

Tony House
01-13-2009, 01:05 PM
It's all been said, very unusual which makes it stand out, love it....

Nice work.
Tony