PDA

View Full Version : Golden Morning at the Mill

Phil Ginn
01-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Phil: This image was taken during our fall trip to the Smokies. What really caught our eye was the bright sunlight hitting the yellow trees back behind the small mill. Due to the high contrast between the dark foreground and bright background Jo had to bracket two shots which we later combined together in Photoshop.

<O:p</O:pJo: It took some effort for us to rock hop across the stream to this location but I really wanted to capture the yellow light reflecting in the water.

<O:p</O:pThe image was shot at 20mm, 6 seconds (and 1.6 seconds), f29, ISO100. We would appreciate your thoughts on improvements. Thanks Jo and Phil

Robert Amoruso
01-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Phil,

Please post the technical information - equipment used and exposure.

I like the bright BG, gold light in the water and the shutter was just right for the silky affect on the water (that's why knowing the exposure helps as it let's others learn).

Angling the lens down here distorted the building thought the trees look OK. This may be cheating but I would have removed the leaves from the rock that were clipped in the image.

Roman Kurywczak
01-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Hey Phil and Jo,
I like the fact that you have a bunch of leaves.....but I am with Robert on the clipped ones at the edge. While I don't mind the cabin and it is very good that you minimized the forest well.....I am left wondering if just focusing on the flow and reflection would have made a stronger comp??? Still.....nice placement and composition.....and if you went through all the rock hopping trouble.....a little edge clean up won't hurt.