D40 - 18-55mm @ 40mm
ISO 200
0ev
1/125 @ f / 5.0
No Tripod
No Flash
Metering: Eval
Manual Mode

Any C & C would be much appreciated - I am really trying to improve my landscapes.

Phil Ginn
01-11-2009, 05:22 PM
I really like the colors in the sky and water. I am having a little trouble trying to make out the foreground on my monitor. I thinking perhaps it is a boat? I am not sure if you could have just zoomed in on the water and sky more as I really like that part of image.

Robert Amoruso
01-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Rob,

The comp looks OK if the FG had some detail but as presented just too much negative space for my taste. I am not sure if the structure, boat, car or whatever in the FG right helps at all as it messes up the symmetry of the image which may have let the dark shadows work better.

Dave Mills
01-12-2009, 04:47 PM
I would agree with the consensus about too much neg space in foreground and the left and right side with the added difficulty in making out what is in the foreground. The orange rim in the backround is pleasing but the balance of the sky doesn't add much interest.

Roman Kurywczak
01-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Hey Rob,
Dark FG silhouette already covered.....I will give you a bit of advice for next time out......simplify......what probably drew you to the image was the color in the sky.......find a nice silhouette shape you like and expose for the sky......giving the shape against the color of the sunset. In this image I am going with back of convertible.........so no amount of split nd....maybe a huge HDR.....would give you the look you were going for......but a bit of fill flash on the car.....would have helped brighten up the FG.....just a touch.....to make it more recognizable. Shapes are very important in silhouetter photography so seperation of them....becomes paramount to the success of the image.

Kaushik Balakumar
01-13-2009, 05:26 AM
Well, nice colours out there Rob. Personally, I would have avoided the foreground boat (??) & instead got ahead (in front of) of it to shoot the lake.

Robert Amoruso
01-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Hey Rob,
Dark FG silhouette already covered.....I will give you a bit of advice for next time out......simplify......what probably drew you to the image was the color in the sky.......find a nice silhouette shape you like and expose for the sky......giving the shape against the color of the sunset. In this image I am going with back of convertible.........so no amount of split nd....maybe a huge HDR.....would give you the look you were going for......but a bit of fill flash on the car.....would have helped brighten up the FG.....just a touch.....to make it more recognizable. Shapes are very important in silhouetter photography so seperation of them....becomes paramount to the success of the image.

Well articulated Roman - thanks.