PDA

View Full Version : My Local Stream

Ed Vatza
01-11-2009, 02:06 PM
I've not done much landscape photography but I wanted to try some things with filters today. So I put on my chest waders and headed out into my local stream.

Canon 30D; Sigma 10-20 lens; B+W CP; 3-stop ND Filter; handheld while sitting in the stream

2.0 sec @ f/32; ISO 200; +1 EV; AWB; FL 20mm

Yes, this was handheld at 2 seconds while sitting in a Pennsylvania stream in January. I gotta at least get some points for that! :D

Robert Amoruso
01-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Ed,

I give you points for sitting in the stream but I am not sure if the softness is due to the handholding (my guess yes) or under-sharpening (my guess no).

This type of image is difficult finding a place to cut the rocks if they are too close together and don't allow for frame edge separation. The other problem I found with getting in the stream is that you end up with B forest that is, many times distracting - which I find that to be the case here.

Recently I went to Tampa and a stream there with rapids. This time I had waders and got inthe water. One point up to my chest. THose images were less successful then the ones I made two months previous that I made from overlooks and ridge trails at a higher elevation just of being above to eliminate the BG forest better.

For me the most interesting part is the lower two thirds with the moving stream currently at the mid-point horizontal. I would suggest a crop there and eliminate the BG forest and shore.

Roman Kurywczak
01-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Hey Ed,
Definitely points for the waders and sitting in the stream......I'm in agreement with Robert that the hand holding of 2 sec. probably caused the softness......but do realize that even the sturdiest of tripods at 2 seconds.....will get vibration/movement if too deep in the stream. Overcast will work best in this situation and look for a place with less rocks and more seperation......this will help with the comp.

Kaushik Balakumar
01-13-2009, 05:23 AM
The far off trees not adding much to the frame IMO. With interesting rocks & water flowing in between, some intimate shots & close-ups might turn out good as well...