PDA

View Full Version : Fisher Towers

John Blumenkamp
01-10-2009, 11:40 PM
This is an image I made this past spring of the Fisher Towers east of Moab, Utah. The sky was pretty hazy behind the towers at the time of this capture, so I worked with the color balance tool and a mask to bring out a little more of the blue, as well as lighten up the foreground. Any other suggestions welcome.

40D w/ 70-200 f/4 IS
1/8 f/11 iso100

Thanks for looking,
John

Fabs Forns
01-11-2009, 09:46 AM
I'd love to see this in HDR. Composition is good, just the much darker foreground.

Bruce Murden
01-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Beautiful place!

I'm with Fabs. I love your image, beautiful lighting on the towers, and I think you have enough FG here. If not HDR, have you tried double-processing in RAW, once for the highlights, once for the shadows? That could let you blend the FG and towers better than just masking and working with exposure.

Michael Pancier
01-11-2009, 09:48 PM
if you have photomatix pro, you can create a pseudo HDR from this image. I can't wait to see these next month.

Robert Amoruso
01-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Nice use of layers in the image John - both the FG and in the butte. Just the right amount of FG in shade to anchor the excellent color of the sunlight butte.

Roman Kurywczak
01-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Hey John,
Know the area well....I'm with the not lovin' the FG shadow.....although probably impossible to totally get rid of.....would be interested in the HDR or "pseudo" version.

Ed Cordes
01-13-2009, 08:25 PM
I like the perspective of a slightly "long" view rather than the traditional wide angle view standing up close. The shadow is pesky, but I don't know how you can get the last rays of red light without it. I might consider a crop from the bottom to about the top of the horizontal gravel line.