PDA

View Full Version : White Sands in B&W

Maxis Gamez
01-10-2009, 08:54 PM
http://www.********.org/bpn/40D/_MG_1139_B&W.jpg
White Sands in B&W - New Mexico

I wasn't too excited about my images from White Sands National Monument, so I "walked" away from my images for few weeks and gave them another try. B&W came to mind and I would like for you to be brutal about it. As I said, keeping landscapes in mind!

Canon 40D, 17-40 L @ 17mm f/11, ISO 400, 1/1000 sec, 2 stop ND filter, RAW, Manual, Tripod, Full Frame.

PS: The Canon 17-40mm L is an amazing lens!! :D

Hope you like it.

Thanks!

Bruce Murden
01-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Good going in B&W. I like the layout of the main clouds, and the stark whites of the sands. Good image already. I wonder if moving right to make this image would have added a bit to the comp, keeping the plant in the same location, with the shadows echoing the angle of the clouds a bit more. Just a tiny thought for your next time shooting landscapes!

John Blumenkamp
01-10-2009, 11:43 PM
I think this works really well as a B&W Maxis... I really like the texture in the sand and the shadow of the grass. I might lighten up the sky just a little if it were mine. Really nice composition in my book.

Kaushik Balakumar
01-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Maxis, this is my favorite of the landscape images u've posted off late. Just love this one.
Love the FG plant & especially the shadows it is casting.

Fabs Forns
01-11-2009, 09:45 AM
I think the shrub should be in the right to balance the clouds on the left. Moving a few feet may have improve this.

Judd Patterson
01-11-2009, 12:44 PM
My favorite part of this B&W image are those outstanding shadows for each blade of grass! I wonder if perhaps you took some other images to focus in on that detail? I just love the sidelight created shadows and the slight ripples in the sand. Very nice!

david cramer
01-12-2009, 10:31 AM
A different angle might produce a nice image, but I'm not sure it would be better. I like the composition of this one and the flow of the angles. I always like plenty of contrast in B&W and this one has that. The only thing lacking is more detail in the sand waves, where the white overwhelmes the texture.

Robert Amoruso
01-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Good idea on the B&W Maxis. This comp is AOK and as suggested moving left or right would give you different compositions but not necessarily better ones.

I like the sky dark. Just what I used to do with B&W film and a red filter.

Roman Kurywczak
01-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Hey Maxis,
Arrived from sunny Fla. after 1 am last night...so didn't get a chance to comment. All ideas/advice above have merit and are excellent ...definitely worth exploring.

Now... let me comment on the image........I like the darker sky as i am a huge fan of infrared B&W.....which usually gets a black sky.......as David states...the detail lacking in the sand....is my only issue and this could be because of 2 reasons..........downsizing for the web......or you exposed to the right.......I don't know about you......but I often find that on snow images or white sand in this case......you are better off going to the left with the histogram......as you get better details in the whites....this is subject to debate but I am just telling you what works for me... (could also be time of day.......as close to sunset or sunrise...yields stronger/huge shadows in the sand......I guess that means 3 reasons!).

I like the fact that you included the whole shadow......yes Judd......I do notice this also and appreciate thesee little details......I feel because of the shadow....you have achieved balance nicely with the clouds........so the comp works for me. I do see Fabs point.....so again....in the field definitely take a peek. If you see something that grabs your eye in landscapes.......explore as many comps as possible while the light is good. A bit long winded......can you tell I've been away for a few days???? Anyway....nicely done!

Maxis Gamez
01-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Rob,

I have to agree with you, others composition could bring a different perspective but not necessarily better ones.

Roman,

I hope you had a good trip. In B&W, I love deep and dark skies as well. With so much going on, I don't think the small shadows will add much to the image, but I could be wrong. I guess I have to go back and give it a try!

Thank you all!