PDA

View Full Version : Another "I'm coming to get you" image

John Chardine
01-10-2009, 07:01 PM
This time it's a Common Raven going after a Snowy Owl at out local Tantramar Marsh today. There was a pair of ravens acutally, and they eventually harassed the owl sufficiently that it flew off into the distance- of course not in my direction- 500/4 waiting patiently on gimbal head.

This sort of mobbing behaviour is instinctive and often misplaced. The owl likely presents no immediate threat to the ravens but that did not stop them doing what they do to raptorial predators like Snowy Owls.

Paul Lagasi
01-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Hi John..the other day when watching a Great Greay Owl..he suddenly flew out of the field and into the trees...couldn't tell what spooked him, then a Raven flew out...didn't think any large owl would be bothered by ravens...Paul

Ed Kelley
01-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Seems as though I've witnessed this behavior all of my life, and I recall my Dad pointing it out to me as a boy, maybe something that got me interested in birds in the first place. I've seen a variety of small birds put up a fuss over a bird of prey, even what appeared to be cowbirds or grackles chasing after a hawk, and here in WNC, it is very common to see a flock of crows after a redtail. I've never seen any harm come to either the attacker(s) or the "attackee." Always fun to watch, though.

Thanks for posting this, John.