PDA

View Full Version : Busy Background

Julie Kenward
01-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Many of the regulars around here know I spend a lot of the autumn trying to come up with images that had busier than normal backgrounds to them - ones that left the environment in while still making the focal point stand out. Some worked...some didn't.

This is an image I took just the other day with the same thought process in mind. Again, I want to ask...is this too busy? Do you like the effect or do you prefer a more sterile and one-dimensional BG? I'd love to know your thoughts...

Canon 40D, EF 70-200mm f/4L
f7/1 @ 1/160th, ISO 200
Manual mode, pattern metering, AWB
Handheld, late afternoon sun
Processed in ACR & CS4

Ed Vatza
01-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Hi Jules,

I'll take a flyer on this one. :) All the oof branches in the background don't really bother me. But the extra branches that are in focus or almost so do. That includes the little twig in the LL and the branch reaching from the LL to the top. Same goes for the branches on the LR and the big one that is almost straight up and down. When I cover the excess, the comp looks pretty good.

Obviously that is just my opinion. Others may differ. :eek::D

And yes, I am feeling better. Thanks for asking.

Julie Kenward
01-11-2009, 11:55 AM
It's funny but I didn't really see the in focus branches until I went to upload this. I do see what you mean...I'll go back to the drawing board!

denise ippolito
01-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Jules, I do love the colors and the focus is great!!

Steve Canuel
01-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Nice colors in this one. Only the small branches crossing the lower corners bother me as they're both relatively sharp and seem to be at odds with each other rather than "paired up" like many of the OOF ones in the BG.