PDA

View Full Version : La Jolla Pelican

Maruthy Vedam
01-10-2009, 02:20 AM
Hello everyone,

I am an amateur photographer and have been getting serious about photography since I bought my first DSLR about 2 years ago.

This is my first post and would like to share this photo which is probably one of my better ones. I am always looking to improve, so any and all critique about technique or post processing is appreciated.

Thanks,
mvphoto

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3281/2894199354_7354fe6909_o.jpg

Juan Aragonés
01-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Hi and wellcome on board. i am sure that you will enjoy your time in BPN, this is a great place to share learning and information Your image is very sharp and I like the soft light and pose of the subject with a neat eye contact. Nice BG and well processed. I think that the composition could be better if the main point of interest (the eye of the pelican) were placed in a less centered position. I also think that it could work as a vertical crop.
Do not forget to post the basic technical details of the image (ISO, shutter speed, f-stop, etc)
Keep them coming:)

By the way, it would be much better if you, like other memebers of BPN; use a real name;)

Tony Whitehead
01-10-2009, 02:30 AM
Big welcome to BPN. I like the diagonal comp and feather details but would crop a little looser to avoid the feathers touching the edge on the right- nice eye contact and feather detail. Nice sharp eye with good DOF to cover the bird while rendering the BG nice and OOF. A little fill flash may have been an option to add a catchlight to the eye and bring some more detail into the dark area surrounding the eye. Posting technical details re camera, lens, aperture, shutter speed, ISO , metering etc are helpful in maximising feedback and suggestions. Great first post - looking forward to more.

Daniel Cadieux
01-10-2009, 06:16 AM
Welcome to BPN!! Looks like you were nice and close to this fella. I like the resting pose you have here, but like Juan and Tony have already suggested the comp needs some tweaking. I'd prefer a tighter crop personally as I'm finding the belly and open space in LRC not needed here. I also find the whole eye/face area on the dark side of things - Fill-flash would definitely have been a good option to use in the field but things can be improved in PS. Here I've simply used a quick and dirty dodge tool method. I've taken the liberty to manipulate your image to show what I mean, hope you like the repost...

Looking forward to more from you :-)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w98/dancad/pelf.jpg

Art Kornienko
01-10-2009, 08:36 AM
I prefer the original crop better and find the curve of the belly up to the neck more attractive.

Stu Bowie
01-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Welcome to BPN. Lovely feather detail, and this is nice and sharp. I agree this is fairly tight on the RHS. Its always advisable to laeve some space in your comp, especially to look into as you have here. Looling forward to more.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Welcome to BPN! Very nice first post, I like the mood and eye contact. I would go either for a slightly wider crop that is not clipping anything at the right or something similar to Daniel's repost. What I really like in the repost is the lightened eye, makes quite a difference. Keep them coming!

Maruthy Vedam
01-11-2009, 02:09 AM
Thanks to you all for the valuable feedback. I will include the technical details of the shot in future.