PDA

View Full Version : Two-Headed Fuzzball

Steve Canuel
01-09-2009, 11:35 PM
40D, 1-400L @ 400mm, f8, 1/50s, ISO 1600, -2/3 EC, handheld, cropped for comp.

Juan Aragonés
01-10-2009, 02:38 AM
Steve I thnk that this nice scene would also work as a vertical crop. I like the moment a lot :-)

Daniel Cadieux
01-10-2009, 06:24 AM
Nice scene to stumble onto...very cute!! I'd probably give it more room below for the tail, but I like the chosen crop. I've always felt that with two birds looking outward in opposite directions like this centered comps work well. May look a tad oversharpened? Nice job handholding with those dim lighting conditions, but I'm not surprised you had to chuck more than a few ;-)

John Chardine
01-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Not sure about the ID (baby Kingbirds?), I heard these two chirping after an August thunderstorm. After checking on them and seeing they were ok, I grabbed a couple of photos and waited to see what the parents looked like. I left when one of them came back to a nearby tree with a mouthful of bugs. It was pretty dark from the storm so I put it on burst, fired away, knelt down on the ground, and hoped the IS would make up for my unsteady technique. Most went in the trash but this one was acceptable for me. 40D, 1-400L @ 400mm, f8, 1/50s, ISO 1600, -2/3 EC, handheld, cropped for comp.

Steve- Maybe you can post this image to Avian ID and we will have a think.

I think this is a very attractive image. The colours are rich and the moment is just perfect.

Stu Bowie
01-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Great to see them in opposite directions, and they stand out nicely against the darker BG. Super image.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Great find, I like the eye contact and mood. Composition works for me, just a bit more space at the bottom. I hope the two guys made it. Were they able to fly when you found them?

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-10-2009, 02:43 PM
This is just lovely and the pose you captured here puts it over the top for me. Lovely detail and good exposure. Many thanks for sharing Steve.

Steve Canuel
01-11-2009, 01:17 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments.
Daniel, this was a second rework attempt on which I pulled back on the sharpening. I had a hard time getting a balance I liked between soft and fuzzy and a good detail.
Axel, if they were able to fly, they didn't feel like it when I was there. They sure perked up when mom came back with the mouthful of bugs.