PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Gum

John Cooper
01-21-2008, 12:05 AM
This Ghost Gum attracted my attention while trekking through a gorge in the Northern Territory of Australia.
Canon EOS 5, Canon 28-135mm, Natural light, Ekatachrome VS, 1/125 sec F11, Tripod.

David Kennedy
01-21-2008, 03:39 PM
John,
I would say that the idea behind this image is a good one, but that the execution suffers because of the harsh quality of the light. At a different time of day, this image would be a winner.

Robert Amoruso
01-22-2008, 08:32 AM
John,

For the composition, I would add more room at top.

David is right on the light quality, landscapes are all about the light. You need to return here either earlier or later in the day. Or overcast as well.

Added: I was thinking about this one for the last couple of hours. Primarily because high-contrast scenes and backlite trees, bushes etc. are something I like. I wonder if it just me. Then I saw David Steele had commented. I do like the luminosity of the tree. So I am torn on the recommendation here and I know that does not help John at all.

I have a similar situation where I photographed a tree backlte. I showed Artie and he liked the tree but not all the contrast of the FG/BG surrounding the tree. I still am meaning to go back and revisit my processing. In that case, I plant on masking out the tree and lowering the contrast of everything else.

Should that be done here - I am not sure and the rocks are not that contrasty. I do think that it might be hard for us sitting in a chair to know if early or late light would be better as this location may only see this type of light. I still think that overcast might look good here.

That does not change the fact John saw the scene and did well composing it - nit mentioned already. Thanks for suffering the diatribe.

David Steele
01-22-2008, 10:35 AM
John, backlit trees against shadowed cliffs make great subjects and this is a good example although it does lack 'breathing space' the top. Not sure about shooting it at a different time of the day as you could lose the backlighting that makes it special. . . .

John Cooper
01-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Many thanks for all the comments - yes it was the luminosity of the tree that caught my attention. Agree cropping is a bit tight at top.