PDA

View Full Version : Great Black-headed Gull

Akbar Nemati
01-09-2009, 02:29 AM
Great Black-headed Gull, Caspian Sea Iran. I was in bus and it's driving in sea shore It's so hard but I try to took it out of the window of bus. I took some photos and one of them is like this.
Details:
Canon 40D, 400mm, Hand held,
Shutter speed: 1/1600s
Aperture: f/5.7
ISO: 250

Daniel Cadieux
01-09-2009, 07:26 AM
I see this is your first post...welcome to BPN!

Must have been difficult from a moving bus. Although the action and anticipation of bird/water contact is very nice, I find the gull quite small in the frame. You could perhaps crop this a as vertical - at least we'd have a better look at the action. Perhaps next time you will be able to step out of the bus and set yourself up properly :-)

Wayne Richardson
01-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Hi

I agree with Daniel & also welcome you to BPN. :)

BTW this is a non-breeding Black-headed Gull, ID'd by its red legs/bill, black spot behind the eye & distinctive wing pattern. A Great Back-headed Gull is a huge bird, i.e. one of the world's biggest gulls. It has a yellow bill with black & red stripe, plus yellow legs. The wing markings comprise of a black bar across the white outer primaries. GBHG is now called Pallas's Gull in most modern bird guides.

Cheers: Wayne

Tony Whitehead
01-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Welcome to BPN. Interesting action captured in very challenging circumstances - well done to achieve that sharpness. I agree with Dan's suggestions and look forward to more birds form Iran