PDA

View Full Version : Robber Fly_Impatiens Bud

ChasMcRae
01-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Springtime with blooming red Impatiens border used by The Robber Fly as a hunting ground. This one perched on fresh bud with full flower in left corner.
Scanned slide-Nikon with 200mm Macro lens.

Chas.

Bruce Murden
01-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Hi Charles,
Excellent lighting on the bud and fly (and a shame about the BG banding due to jpg compression). I'd like ot see just a bit more space beneath the bud, and toning down the big petal in the BG which takes attention away from fly & bud. Possibly a move to your left (assuming the fly would let you!), or a crop from this image from the left (between W. and McRae), so that the big petal is less imposing.

Todd Frost
01-09-2009, 01:06 AM
Very well composed, agree with toning down the red petal in bg or possibly quick mask it and fill with the green bg you have here.

Todd

Aristotle Georgiou
01-09-2009, 02:35 AM
Nice work Charles, I like everything about this, but a pity about the JPG compression.

Ed Vatza
01-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Not too much to add to the above. Overall a very nice image. I do wish the fly's wing didn't disappear into the black part of the background.

Mike Moats
01-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Hey Chas, very cool image. Nice sharp details and I think the BG looks interesting but would agree to maybe back off on the intensity of the red. Very well done and nice to see you post here.

ChasMcRae
01-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Well the idea for the red petal in the background upper corner was "repetitive color"
however that didnt go over well. Not sure why I had the artfacts since I have not seen this much before. I have not done much macro since I started digital, but maby this Spring-Summer.

Thanks for all comments.

Chas.

Julie Kenward
01-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Charles, I think the repetitive color would have gone over better if the flower in the BG had been a little more distinguishable. I also think a crop from the left side would have given that same feeling of repetitiveness without leaving so much OOF. Try it again this spring and let's see some more!