PDA

View Full Version : Orange-Belted Bumblebee

Michel Pilon
01-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Hello all,

Here is an Orange-belted Bumblebee photographied last June at the Canton of Hatley in Quebec, Canada.

Those insects venr land (and it is why we can easily differentiate them from their mimic Syrphidae) and are continuouslu flying! So it not always easy to photograph them under a harmonious angle. I should have took many many pictures before getting one pleasing me.

I believe the flower is Salvia sp. but I'm not sure...

Any comments on the picture?

Thank you again!

Michel

http://parcours.pilonm.org/pictures/insectes/bourdonTricolore4.jpg

Model = Canon EOS 40D

[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/400"
F Number = F8
Exposure Program = Aperture priority
ISO Speed Ratings = 320
Exif Version = Version 2.21
Date Time Original = 2008-06-28 10:13:15
Date Time Digitized = 2008-06-28 10:13:15
Shutter Speed Value = 8.63 TV
Aperture Value = 6 AV
Exposure Bias Value = -0.33EV
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 420mm

Bruce Murden
01-08-2009, 04:35 PM
I like the lighting, location of bee, and the bokeh here, and I like that the stem is not vertical. Too minor improvements I'd like to see are cloning out the bit of purple petal at the peeking down from off the top edge of the frame, and if you could, cloning out the dead petal or casing on the LR of the main stem. Overall, very well done!

Todd Frost
01-09-2009, 01:02 AM
Nice composition, lighting and detail look good. Agree with cloning suggestion. Well done.

Todd

Aristotle Georgiou
01-09-2009, 02:24 AM
Great shot!

I agree about the cloning and also a touch more sharpening on the eye.

Nice work

Ed Vatza
01-09-2009, 03:59 PM
I agree with the above comments. Good subject. Excellent detail. Nice background although I personally could do without the oof bloom in the LR corner.

Mike Moats
01-09-2009, 06:43 PM
He Pilonm, beautiful details and color. Great BG and agree with cloning out the OOF bloom in the BG. Very Well done.

Julie Kenward
01-10-2009, 09:06 AM
This really is beautiful and, yes, I believe Salvia is right on the flower. Excellent job on exposure and shutter speed! I would agree about cloning out the top piece of petal and the OOF bloom at the bottom and also agree with selectively sharpening the eye only just a little more. Overall, this has a beautiful feel to it and is lovely to look at. Nicely done!

Michel Pilon
01-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Hello all and thank you very much for your pertinent comments! It is really appreciated...

No problem with Bruce's cloning suggestions and the sharpness on the eye as suggested by Aristotle. I will try it.

But I don't see how I can clone the OOF bloom... Any suggestion??? Is it a hard work to do it?

Thank you very much one more time :-)

Cheers,

Michel