PDA

View Full Version : Lost Lake Morning Magic

Phil Ginn
01-07-2009, 07:07 PM
My wife and I received some great help from the forum on a few of our photos last fall. We have updated our website and image processing based on those recommendations and we are now ready to receive more advice on some of our images.
<O:p</O:p

This image was captured at Lost Lake near Crested Butte shortly after sunrise during our fall trip through Colorado. The water was pretty low in the lake and we had to slog through about 40 feet of mushy mud until Jo could reach a rock to stand and capture the image.
<O:p</O:p

Ideally we would have liked to have some clouds in the sky but sometimes you just can’t have everything. The image was shot at 14mm, 0.4 seconds, f14, ISO100. We would appreciate your thoughts on improvements.

Thanks Jo and Phil

Bogdan Coltea
01-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Beautiful light and colors, great composition and exposure.
A different angle to the foreground might have made it stronger.

Bruce Murden
01-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Your lighting and colors are excellent. I like the choice to have more water FG than sky BG, to keep the horizon off-center, but it isn't always necessary for reflection shots. For me, the smaller bits of stuff poking out of the water don't seem to go with the rest of your image. I suggest cropping just a bit off the bottom, at or just below the base of the lower left of the pair of rocks in the FG. Any remaning plants/shore sticking up out of the water could be cloned out.

Overall, great job!

Kaushik Balakumar
01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Lovely colours. Since you got some absolutely lovely reflections, I would second Bruce's suggestion on keeping the image symmetric (50-50 divide) by cropping off some portions from the bottom.

Roman Kurywczak
01-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Hey Phil,
Excellent advice given above. More water would have been preferable but not always easy. Maybe getting wet........into the water....would have helped......but even that wouldn't guarantee a clean reflection. As is.....I would go with a bit of the crop off the bottom as recommend. All the rest of the stuff you nailed!

Robert Amoruso
01-09-2009, 12:19 PM
The comments above reflection my feelings pretty well. Glad we are helping you out Phil.