PDA

View Full Version : Honey, I'm Home...

David Roach
01-07-2009, 12:16 PM
I went out last night to get an evening picture of the nest Sid had so beautifully imaged recently. Well, I got there two hours before sunset and continually adjusted my ISO and compensation for the sky as the female (I believe) sat on the nest, stood and stetched. But, no mate in sight. Well someone yelled as a mate approached; only for one of the lower nests (with busy BGs). I swung around, no time to adjust compensation (for the now mostly dark BG of surrounding vegetation). I grabbed this image and had to adjust the curve on Capture One as it was slightly over exposed. I wish for better separation but sometimes we take what we can get.
1DMKIIN 100-400 @220mm ISO 400 F5@1/1250

Arthur Morris
01-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Nice job of framing, lovely light, and excellent light angle. Some selective sharpening of the face of the landing bird and you will be good to go.

Fabs Forns
01-07-2009, 03:08 PM
At least you got ready on time. Agree with a little more sharpening in the eye. we may go there this week-end, hoping to get some luck, for it's a long drive for us. Have we met in the field?

Axel Hildebrandt
01-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Great light and moment captured. Another vote for more eye sharpening. Too bad the OOF foliage in the foreground partially blocks the birds.

David Roach
01-07-2009, 04:27 PM
At least you got ready on time. Agree with a little more sharpening in the eye. we may go there this week-end, hoping to get some luck, for it's a long drive for us. Have we met in the field?

Well, I was lucky as I was set up for exactly this kind of image (AI Focus, lens limited to focus at long end, "ring of fire" (all focus sensors for tracking such action) and 8 frames per second; only exposure compensation was wrong as the higher nest has mostly sky. Fabs, I know who you are (because you're a photog celebrity) and have previously promised to introduce myself next time I run into you in the field. Just hasn't happened yet.

Jim Fenton
01-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Love the light.

What I would have hoped for it a bit more interaction between the two herons...perhaps if the nested bird had been looking at the approaching mate (I realize this is completely beyond your control :)

The vegetation in the lower right is somewhat of a hindrance.