PDA

View Full Version : Jasper River

Jory Griesman
01-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Although mainly a critter guy, on a trip to the Alberta Rockies last summer, the scenery kept getting in the way. This is from a river near Maligne Lake, in Jasper, Alberta. A simple scene/composition, but one of my favourites (yes, that's Canadian spelling), as I started to experiment with currents and waterfalls. I like the green water, but do any of you think this might be better in black and white?

Nikon D200, 24-70 mm 2.8 Nikon lens at 70 mm
f/20, 1/3 sec, ISO 100, +1/3 exposure compensation

Bruce Murden
01-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Both color and BW work here, and give different moods. I find your color (pardon me, that should be colour :)) version more peaceful , and this quick take on BW I made from your image as emphasizing the rapid flow more.

Note that I cropped some off top and left. I felt that the flow coming in mid left frame pulled the eye away from the flows and turbulence around the rock, and I wanted to clean up a little at the top. I think similar crops will help the color image keep the focus on the flows.

Post a few more "landscape got in the way of critter" shots again sometime!

Roman Kurywczak
01-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Hey Jory,
Not bad for a critter guy! I like the feel and flow of this one. You put the rock in an excellent position and the SS you chose emphasized the water flow very nicely. The crop tightened it up nicely and if I had to go for only one.....a bit of the top would work well as I like the left side more. I like both versions but do prefer your original color one! Very nicely done......so you can't just call yourself a critter guy now!

Robert Amoruso
01-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Jory,

Well seen and composed as Roman mentioned and the shutter speed used just perfect for the right amount of silky flow.

I very much like the B&W version too.

James Shadle
01-16-2009, 03:33 PM
All of the high points covered well.
I prefer the color post.

I agree with Roman "not bad for a critter guy"

James