PDA

View Full Version : ID Help

Adams Serra
01-06-2009, 09:18 PM
I took this picture in SE Brazil during my trip in July. I have not been able to ID this bird yet.
Looking forward to you comments.

John Chardine
01-06-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm away from my books right now but can't resist taking a guess. First, it looks like a woodpecker, but a very small one. I know some of these are called Piculets. As to the species, l'll sleep on it.

Matthew Pontiff
01-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Ochre-collared Piculet perhaps? I put "piculet" into google and a very close match came up for that species. Take a look and see what you think. Kudos to John for knowing it was Piculet.

Matt

Paul Lagasi
01-07-2009, 12:48 AM
I looked in my books and closet thing is a White-barred Piculet.. good luck on Id

John Chardine
01-07-2009, 07:17 AM
I had a look at reference for southern South America- De La Peņa and Rumboll, and the species mentioned by Matt and Paul are the candidates for sure. However, I think we can see enough of the nape to say that it's a White-barred Piculet rather than the Ochre-collared.

Nice bird by the way! I'm very envious of Adams to be seeing species like this on a regular basis.

Adams Serra
01-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Thank you John,Matthew and Paul. After looking at the pictures I Believe this is a White Barred Piculet.

Adams