PDA

View Full Version : Passion #1

Ed Vatza
01-06-2009, 07:53 PM
I felt "Desire" is a soft emotion and as such demanded a soft composition (see Desire #1). "Passion" on the other hand... well passion is hot... it is strong... it is "in your face". So I feel "passion" requires stronger lines and a sharper image. So while the "passion" series was made between f/3.2 and f/8, I went with f/22 to convey the passion of the red rose. I shot this red rose at several different angles and find that I prefer somewhat of a profile shot over a full frontal image. Hope you enjoy!

Very simple set up on this one. Canon 30D w/ remote shutter release; Sigma 70mm Macro lens; 60W incandescent lamp and natural light from surrounding windows; Velbon Ultra-Luxis tripod.

4.0 sec @ f/22; ISO 200; 0 EV; AWB

Bruce Murden
01-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Ed, I agree with your choice of "profile" for this rose, especially with the lighting angle you chose, giving a few deep shadows in the center, and well lit petals on the edges. It adds a lot of depth. I know you've chosen some higher saturation for these shots, but for me on my screen, it's a bit too saturated, especially with the lit edges on the right side of the image.

denise ippolito
01-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Ed, I like the angle you shot this at! Colors are intense-This would make a nice large print!

Ed Vatza
01-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks Bruce. Thanks Denise.

Bruce, I see what you are referring to. Ironically, I did not boost the saturation. Of course I didn't pull it back either. What I did do was warm up the WB a bit. I did go back and back off a little on the WB. I also desaturated a bit. First impression is that I don't like this version as much as the original. It just isn't as vibrant as the actual flower. But here it is.

Denise, I must say that I have never sold an image... at least not yet. I have showed off some of my recent flower images (Pink Gerbera #1 and #2; Purity and Innocence (white rose); Desire (orange rose)) to some folks who have expressed interest. So I may cross that bridge sooner as opposed to later. One person has asked how large I can print the Pink Gerbera #1 image. The folks to whom have shown the images seem to really like the rich, vibrant, saturated colors. I just hope they print well. :)

Bruce Murden
01-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Ed, it just goes to show it's a matter of taste, and we all see the same thing a bit differently. To my eyes, the second version is more appealing, and true to how I see roses, but I wasn't there for this one. Give printing a try (saturation and brightness will look different in print, despite best calibration). I know my wife suggests that I try printing a lot more often!

Bogdan Coltea
01-07-2009, 04:21 AM
I like the 2nd version more.
Very nice composition, angle and use of DOF. Very appealing and passionate image indeed.

Good luck and best wishes with "crossing the bridge"! :)

Mike Moats
01-07-2009, 06:17 AM
Hey Ed, great detials with the f/22. I think both versions look good. Nice mood in the lighting.

Julie Kenward
01-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Ed, you can always do a quick mask and bring the saturation down only on the petals to the right... Just a thought.

I like both images - love the saturation in the top one but I love the detail of the petals in the second one. Hmmm...which to choose...

Gus Cobos
01-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi Ed,
I like the second repost better with the lower saturation level...:cool:

Caroline Darmo
01-07-2009, 03:04 PM
This is really beautiful Ed, nice DOF and comp. I prefer the second version as well.

Todd Frost
01-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Nice dof and details. Version 2 has a more natural color rendition to me also. Well done.

Todd