denise ippolito
01-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Canon 5D
Lensbaby Composer
4+ and 10+ stacked Macro lenses
f/ 5.6
ISO 400
natural side light from window
Sorry , don't mean to bore you I just need to work on these images and I need feedback-Thanks in advance for your patience everyone:p

Julie Kenward
01-06-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm not bored with this one! Beautiful lighting again, Denise, and the colors are gorgeous. This one definitely feels better in the frame, don't you think? You moved in closer and you would think that would leave it feeling more pinched but the mind makes up for what's missing in the frame and voila! Perfect comp!

My one suggestion would be to continue to make at least one edge a bit more of the focal point. I think this is very very close but I still find myself wanting one edge to be a little bit crisper. Just my personal opinion, mind you...some like the entire image to be a bit soft when they are this close in so do what you feel is best.

Fabs Forns
01-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Sweet! And don't forget the Lensbaby works best backlit ;)

denise ippolito
01-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Jules, I think I know what you mean and I'll try on my next one.
Fabs, I didn't know the Lensbaby works best w/ backlight-Thanks for the tip!!

Bruce Murden
01-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Denise, I like your exploration of roses with the Lensbaby. In addition to a little crispness, I'd like to see a little more light on the chosen main petal edge (like with a reflector while shooting).

Looking forward to more variations!

denise ippolito
01-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Bruce, I never used any reflectors before but I read Mike Moats book last night and saw that he uses them. I will have to get some and give it a try. I do seem to be having a problem w/ sharpness w/ both lenses stacked-I need more practice I'm sure

Ed Vatza
01-06-2009, 10:51 PM
I like this composition better, Denise. I do agree with Jules and Bruce on the need for a little more crispness. The only other thing, and this is obviously just me here, is that I would like the see a darker background, The top of the flower seems to disappear into the background. Of course, that may be what you wanted. :)

Mike Moats
01-07-2009, 06:08 AM
Hey Denise, I like the comp and the high key BG. When your dealing with the high magnification using the 10+ and the 4+, your DOF shrinks to very little areas that will be sharp. Try a smaller F stop ring.

denise ippolito
01-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks Mike I'll try that!

Gus Cobos
01-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Hi Denise,
I like the composition...suggestion: I would crop even tighter...take off from the bottom of the frame up until you are just about touching the folding petal...see how that feels to you...:cool:

denise ippolito
01-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks Gus!

Caroline Darmo
01-07-2009, 03:17 PM
I like this a lot Denise, the high key BG works for me. The comp is very nice, would prefer to see just a bit more sharpness on that front petal.