PDA

View Full Version : Caught In Birch

Mike Moats
01-06-2009, 08:11 AM
This really didn't land here, I set it up. Like the contrast of the leaves against the bark.

Fuji S5, Sigma 180, Tripod, Natural Light, F32, 2/Sec.

denise ippolito
01-06-2009, 09:18 AM
I like the composition with the leaf slightly tilted, I also like the stem of the leaf. The curling bark frames your subject perfectly.

Jerry van Dijk
01-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi Mike, I'm not really sure what to think about this one. The chances of finding a green leaf upside down in tree bark are so slim that the image has a very unnatural feel about it. The leaf does not add enough interst IMHO. I actually think the leaf distracts from that curling bark. If you got in close on one of those curls, you could get a really interesting image!

Anita Bower
01-06-2009, 07:02 PM
This is a very Mike Moats image, in which the main subject and the background would not necessarily be found together, but, which work well. I like the contrast of the green leaf with the dark brown background. I like how the bark curles around to form a frame. I like the textures and colors and shapes. The only thing I would change is having the left side of the leaf showing its sawtooth edge.

Julie Kenward
01-06-2009, 07:26 PM
I think if it had been anything but curling bark it would have looked silly but...I've been out in the forests enough to know you never know WHAT you're going to find and I saw this on the thumbnail and thought, "That Mike is one lucky son-of-a-gun!" I'm happy to hear you staged it...I was going to be so jealous!

My favorite part is that it tucks in so nicely but I also love the bit of web in the URC...it leaves you thinking this wasn't set up - that nature was having a little fun and you caught it. ;)

Ed Vatza
01-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Was this taken a while back or have you been carrying around those green leaves for months? :D

Very nice composition, Mike. I really like the curly bark of the paper birches. It makes for an excellent compositional element. I am curious. What made you decide you place the leaves with the bottoms pointed out. It works very well.

Bogdan Coltea
01-07-2009, 04:23 AM
Lovely composition and contrast between the leaves and bark.
Have you tried a different exposure with a bit of fill flash or a reflector? (light looks a bit flat for me).

Gus Cobos
01-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Well composed Mike,
I like the image and capture...you have great colors and details mixed with the different textures...good show...:cool: