PDA

View Full Version : Gatorland Rookery Update - January 2009

Mike Godwin
01-06-2009, 12:32 AM
http://gatorland.com/blogs/rookery/files/2008/03/31208_1.jpg

Happy New Year Everyone! Thought I would drop by and fill you all in as to what's happening at Gatorland. Today was my first day back at the park for almost a month... I've been on vacation resting up for the Birding Season, and judging by what I saw today, it's going to be a banner year of birding at Gatorland!!!

Walking around the Rookery area today I counted 14 Great Egret nests along with several DC Cormorants nests. The Wood Storks were staking out their nesting areas with several under construction. This year they have moved all the way down to the south end of the east bank area, basically taking the top layer of the entire east bank. I'm very excited to see this Wood Stork colony develop, as they only started nesting at Gatorland 3 years ago. This year I anticipate having around 20 nesting pairs at Gatorland, so for you Woodie lovers... you should have lots of great photo opportunities!

That's it for nesting, but there are quite a few other birds in the Rookery with several in courtship, such as a pair of BC Night Herons feeling frisky and flying around the Breeding Marsh. Plenty of Blue Heron, although it doesn't appear as though they will nest this year. A few Tri's and Snowies are around, but they won't arrive en masse for another month. Spoonbills have been around, although I did not see any today. I am expecting to have several Spoonbill nests at Gatorland this year.

Bottom line... things are starting early this year, and are already off to a great start!

Speaking of starting early, Gatorland will begin the extended Rookery access "Dawn to Dusk" program on February 4, 2009 with early entry at 7:30 am and the ability to stay past closing time until dusk. This new program will run Wednesday through Sunday February 4 - June 28, 2009.

That’s 5 months of extended access to the Gatorland Rookery!

In these rather tough economic times, we understand the fact that money may be a bit tight, especially after buying all that new photo gear for Xmas! This year, Gatorland is going to "open up" access to the Rookery with an option sure to fit any budget. So, if you'll excuse the shameless advertising, here's what we have available in 2009. Through January, the Rookery can be accessed daily during normal business hours (9:00am - 5:00pm). Beginning Wednesday, February 4, 2009 early morning access to the Rookery will be at 7:30 am every Wednesday through Sunday for Annual Photo Pass, Single Day Photo Ticket, and Birding Tour Ticket holders.

As always, if any of you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email, pm, post, or heck... just give me a call at Gatorland. My new D300 arrives tomorrow, so I should have some new photos to post soon. Happy New Year and Great Shooting everybody!

Mike Godwin
Gatorland

Judd Patterson
01-06-2009, 12:47 AM
Thanks so much for the update Mike. It sounds like great news and I look forward to my first visit sometime this February. I have a meeting up in Orlando, so I will have no excuse not to visit! :) Keep us informed on what is new at the rookery!

Bryan Panting
01-06-2009, 07:17 AM
That sounds great. I found out about this late last season and was not able to go, but I will be there for sure this year. Really looking forward to it.

Maxis Gamez
01-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Hi Mike,

Sounds like we are going to have a great year at the Gatorland. Things are active everywhere early this year!! Can't wait!

Alfred Forns
01-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the update Mike Glad your getting more storks !!!

Mike Godwin
01-07-2009, 01:48 PM
http://gatorland.com/blogs/rookery/files/2009/01/10609_1.jpg

Here's the first image from my new D300, must say it is quite a bit different from the D200 and will take some getting used to. Looks like I'll have to read the manual after all. As you can see, the Wood Storks are busy constructing nests, with plenty of flight and nest building shot opportunities. Yesterday we had a Bald Eagle flying around the Rookery, not often we have them drop by. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me at the time... well, there's always next time!

Mike Godwin
Gatorland

Michael Pancier
01-07-2009, 06:30 PM
I've never been out there. i'm going to be in the area in a few weeks, but can't take my 500. Can I make due over there with a 400mm and a 70-200?

Rocky Sharwell
01-07-2009, 09:05 PM
I've never been out there. i'm going to be in the area in a few weeks, but can't take my 500. Can I make due over there with a 400mm and a 70-200?

Mike:

I used all of my lenses when I was there last year--A 400 and the 70-200 with converter worked well for me. I was there for the most part later in the year--but I think you will be fine.

Bryan Panting
01-07-2009, 09:10 PM
I have a quick question. Right now I only have a 70-200mm. Is that going to be ok to go with, or should I hold off until I get something bigger?

Rocky Sharwell
01-07-2009, 09:35 PM
I have a quick question. Right now I only have a 70-200mm. Is that going to be ok to go with, or should I hold off until I get something bigger?

I started going in the mornings with just my 70-200f4 and a converter--I was happy for the most part--but it beat carrying the 600 too. The pass is a great deal if you are local and have the time to go...

Mike Godwin
01-07-2009, 10:27 PM
http://gatorland.com/blogs/rookery/files/2008/02/rookery_1small3.jpg

For those of you that have never visited Gatorland, the Rookery is located towards the back of the park, and is a 10 acre natural breeding area for the alligators. Due to the symbiotic relationship between alligators and birds, over 22 different species of wild Florida birds can be found within the Rookery area. The picture above was taken from the second level of the 3 story observation tower located in the middle section of the Rookery and is a view looking towards the northern half of the Breeding Marsh. A raised wooden walkway traverses the entire length of the Rookery with nesting closest on the west side (great for short lenses <200mm). The East bank is across the water and is best suited for longer lenses >200mm. With the major nesting taking place in an East/West orientation, most folks will shoot the West bank in the morning and the East bank in the afternoon. There is really no defined flight path as the area is open with no obstructing trees, so the action can come from anywhere. The Egrets nest everywhere around the Rookery, while the Wood Storks are only found nesting along the East bank.

The Gatorland Rookery contains 2 Gazebos with benches as well as a 3 story Observation Tower. Limited power is also available, as well as free Wireless Internet. The Rookery is completely accessible up to the second level of the Observation Tower for those folks in wheelchairs or scooters, or even those of you with a shopping cart full of gear! Activity begins in January with peak activity in March/April/May. Most nesting species have finished by August.

There's a quick nickel tour of the Gatorland Rookery... if you have any questions just keep posting or drop me a line!

Mike Godwin
Gatorland

Maxis Gamez
01-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Folks,

The place is amazing!! One tip! whatever lens you bring, don't forget your extension tube. You are going to need it! The birds are THAT close.

I was at Alligator Farm last year but the opportunities are nothing like Gatorland. IMO Gatorland is the place to go!

See you soon Mike!

Mike Godwin
01-13-2009, 03:20 PM
http://gatorland.com/blogs/rookery/files/2009/01/10909_1.jpg

Thanks Maxis, that's a pretty glowing recommendation for Gatorland, and you are correct in the birds are "that close". Here's a juvenile Spoonbill I shot last Friday with a 70-200 and my D300. This Spoonie is probably one of our youngsters from the 2007 nesting season, and was perfectly content to sit and pose for pictures. Most of the birds within the Rookery are very acclimated to people, and you'll be amazed at just how close you can get to some!

Mike Godwin
Gatorland

Maxis Gamez
01-13-2009, 09:54 PM
HI Mike,

I can't wait to go to Gatorland again.

Thank you for the updates!

Paul Zappala
01-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Another vote for Mike and Gatorland!! Great Photo opportunities, super people. Be sure to say hi to Mike!

Paul
www.paulzappala.com (http://www.paulzappala.com)

Lynn Wiezycki
01-31-2009, 12:25 PM
I agree! Gatorland is one of my favorite bird locations.

Lynn

Bryan Panting
02-02-2009, 07:43 PM
I think I am going on Friday the 6th. Really looking forward to it.

Mike Godwin
02-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Thank you all for the great comments, we look forward to seeing you at the park! Please check the new February update thread for the most recent updates!

Mike Godwin
Gatorland