PDA

View Full Version : Hotel recommendation?

Mike Dale
01-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Finally after 4 years of trying (work always got in the way) I'm heading down to Florida. We are flying into and out of Ft Myers and intend to visit as many of the hotspots in the area that we can. My first choice of hotel was the Holiday Inn at Ft Myers beach Beach Holiday but $200+ a night is bit steep. Can anyone recommend any hotels in the area?

Fabs Forns
01-05-2009, 08:13 PM
La Quinta in Fort Myers is what Artie uses as a base to work the area. It's in Cleveland Ave. Not on the beach, but handy for all places.

Judd Patterson
01-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Fabs has an excellent suggestion. I recently stayed at the Super 8 not too far away (on Colonial Blvd). It was in the same ballpark at $60-70 per night. My favorite option (when I make reservations) is to camp at Koreshan State Historic Site (~$20)...but you do have to deal with some silliness such as the park closing around sunset (you can get in and out as long as you get the gate combo).

Alfred Forns
01-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Mike I like both of those places and you will be centrally located.

About an hour from Venice and less to Ft Myers Beach and Ding. Do post before heading down for up to date info on the different sites !!!

Michael Pancier
01-07-2009, 10:26 AM
I stayed at the Sandpiper on Fort Myers Beach. I go in summer when the rates are low. Not sure what they are now. But it's in a nice location. close to estero and close to the bridges out if you're heading out to sanibel or other locales in the area.

Rene A
01-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Also don't overlook vacation rental's in Venice, North Port, Punta Gorda Cape Coral

There are a lots of homesfor rent by the days week or month....people will take almost anything to make some money with their houses that they can't sell.

Renate

Mike Dale
01-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks for all the information folks. My wife likes the idea of sitting on a balcony reading a books while watching the sunset so we are looking at rental condo's.

Alfred, I will be sure to ask for an area update before I come down. I visited Florida back in 1998 I think it was and spent a few days on Sanibel then and I cant wait to get back down there.

Joe Campanellie
01-14-2009, 11:41 PM
I'd say check out the rentals as opposed to the local hotels at $125 and up a night. My wife found a condo right at Esterro for $300 for the week which will be the best of both worlds. She gets to hang out on the beach and I get to do some photography for myself.

Will be nice to get out of this cold and away from the DC araea before the insanity hits next week.