PDA

View Full Version : Color difference in Camera LCD and Photoshop/Zoom Browser

Nagesh Mula
01-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm having 30D and 50D now and I've been noticing that whenever I take some pics and look at LCD window of the Camera it looks great to my satisfaction but when I view it in Zoom Browser (Comes with camera software) or in Photoshop the colors seems to be a lot desaturated in case of 50d and somewhat in case of 30D.

I would appreciate if you can tell me the reason behind it and how can I rectify this problem.

Thanks.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-05-2009, 06:33 PM
You see a jpg at the camera screen, in your computer it depends on a variety of settings. Do you use Adobe RGB or sRGB, what is the file format, do you see differences between color-managed and non-color-managed programs?

Nagesh Mula
01-05-2009, 07:40 PM
1. Do you use Adobe RGB or sRGB -> sRGB
2. What is the file format -> RAW
3. Do you see differences between color-managed and non-color-managed programs? -> Don't know what exactly do you mean here as I'm kinda dumb with these jargons. I see the difference in the LCD screen of Camera and imported files in Zoom Browser/Photoshop.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Images in RAW converters look less vibrant than a jpg in-camera. Photoshop is color-managed and you have to check the presets to make sure you can process the image properly. It is also important to calibrate your monitor for proper white point, contrast and color balance.

Rene A
01-05-2009, 09:11 PM
I find the same problem with the 50D in DPP with adobe RGB raw file bright color same file in CS4 Raw 5.2 looks dull..in RAW 5.2 under camera profile you can play with it it helps a little..

Alfred Forns
01-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Axel has a good point The image you see on the back of the camera has been processed in camera, its the generated jpeg. Will look better than the RAW

I like to set the camera to sRBG since it is what displays use and has the added benefit of causing blinkies faster since its has less dynamic range, good safety feature. Got the suggestion from O'toole and has worked great.

The RAW as it comes out of the camera is like an unprocessed negative and needs work. One interesting thing to note is the ability to apply pre-sets in LR at the time of import. You are tweaking the image as is being imported. Can do capture sharpening, tweaking colors, saturation etc Images are going to appear better on screen.

Cheryl Flory
01-07-2009, 11:44 AM
if you set the camera to sRGB, do you lose any color information?

Rene A
01-07-2009, 01:02 PM
The op posted about 30 & 50D & Zoom Browser/Photoshop. & Raw

2 different programs DPP/Zoom browser verses Photoshop each gives you a different color from the same RAW image...

shooting sRGB will eliminate it???? I will test that later..

Renate

<!-- / message -->

Rene A
01-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Axel I use both programs DPP for NR & import it to CS4 ..it would difficult to calibrate a monitor for 2 programs when you need to use both

Axel Hildebrandt
01-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Renate, you only need to calibrate your monitor in general to make sure that images in Photoshop look very similar to those in non-color managed programs, and for everyone else for that matter.

Rene A
01-07-2009, 02:53 PM
axel,

I just did a little experimenting with DPP/CS4 side by side

DPP has presets
CS4 has not the same
I played a little with RAW 5.2 little

and got equal results!

Axel Hildebrandt
01-07-2009, 03:28 PM
axel,

I just did a little experimenting with DPP/CS4 side by side

DPP has presets
CS4 has not the same
I played a little with RAW 5.2 little

and got equal results!

Presets make a difference, as Al suggested you could adjust them to your liking. Aside from that, you could compare the same image in Photoshop and let's say Firefox or IE. If they look very different, then it is time to calibrate the monitor.