D300 - 18-55 @ 38mm
1/250 @ f / 9.0
0ev
ISO 200

C & C always welcome - don't go easy - I want to learn

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Hey Rob,
I like the direction you are taking....converting images to b&W that are generally that way any way. I have cropped the image......as i found the left side pilings a bit distracting and then took a bit off the bottom to give a better angle. I did a linear burn layer on the sky at 50% opacity (you can find the tutorial at the top of the landscape page under tonal range tweaks). I would recommend next time to not get as many of the pilings and try to get more seperation between them. You see where they fade into the distance???.....they get a bit jumbled......the trick is to get play between them of light and dark.......thus helping the interest and composition. Let me know what you think.

Rob Mckenzie
01-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi Roman
Thank you for the awesome advice and excellent re-post. I think it looks much better the way you cropped it.
I will look into the linear burn. It certainly adds something good that wasn't there before.
Next time I am down in Florida I will definitely try to take into account the advice you have given me about the posts. I think it would make the shot much better with more space in between the posts at the end.
Thank you again
Rob

denise ippolito
01-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Rob, Nice image I like it alot-Roman's re-post makes it great!!

Robert Amoruso
01-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Rob,

I like what Roman did with the recrop. To put it way over the top all you need was to get the pelicans to give you a head turn. :)

SOme other suggests I have for an image like this would be to have gone lower to get the tops of the pilings, thus the birds, above the horizon line or higher to get the pilings and birds below the horizon.

B&W was a good choice here.

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Excellent suggestions from Roman. Really like the composition being from corner to corner. Many thanks for sharing Rob.