PDA

View Full Version : White on white

Bogdan Coltea
01-05-2009, 08:17 AM
This is a Small White butterfly (Pieris rapae).
They're relatively wide spread in Transylvania (where I hail from).
Created in August 2008.
Hope you like it. C&C welcome as always.

Specs: 30D & Tamron 70-300 @300mm / ISO400, F9, 1/1250sec handheld

Jerry van Dijk
01-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi Bogdan, lovely image! The position of the butterfly in the UL corner works very nicely. I love the BG with the OOF streaks of grass adding interest. Would have liked a different color flower to give some contrast to the butterfly, but hey, what can you do?

Ed Vatza
01-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Hi Bogdan,

I really like the composition here and the "white on white" really works for me. Background is beautiful. Very well done.

Julie Kenward
01-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I like the white on white, too but also agree with Jerry that something in a dark jewel tone would have been powerful as well. Still, you take what the butterfly gives you!

It's beautifully composed Bogdan, and your f9 aperture was perfect - everything that's important is nice and crisp - everything that's not important is nicely OOF.

If you're ever in this situation again, make this image and then step to the front of the butterfly and see if he'll let you get an image head on. Sometimes those can be the most interesting with those big buggy eyes staring back at you!

Aristotle Georgiou
01-06-2009, 03:51 AM
Magnificent shot Bogdan,

I like the composition, nice exposure control, excellent BG and lovely detail.

Well done

Mike Moats
01-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Hey Bogdan, very well done, excellent details and BG. Like the lighting.

Bogdan Coltea
01-06-2009, 12:16 PM
I agree, a colored flower could have made a difference.
What actually got me to click the shutter was this "white on white" look.
Was really pleased to get that little bit of graphic elements in the BKGR - the OOF grass leaves. So feedback on that was really helpful.

Many thanks ... again!