01-04-2009, 10:17 PM
I took this one in my house a few days ago

Exposure: 1\40
ISO: 100
Aperture: 3.625
Flash used

Ed Vatza
01-05-2009, 06:28 AM
Good morning (at least its morning here :)) and welcome to the BPN Macro and Flora Forum.

Nice first post. I like the way the flower seems to sparkle. I note that you used flash which is fine but I'm not sure about the gradation from left to right. The left side looks almost underexposed while the right side looks almost overexposed. Also looking at the stamens which look to be your focal point, I feel they could use some sharpening. Don't know if you did any post-processing sharpening or not?

Keep them coming and again welcome!

Tony Whitehead
01-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Hi Nick. I'm guessing this is with the camera you got for Christmas? I agree with Ed, the flash has really made the petals sparkle. The problem is that it has mainly illuminated the right, out of focus flower so your eye gets pulled to that side of the image. Shooting through a hole in a piece of white paper may help diffuse the flash a bit and give a softer light. A smaller aperture (bigger f number) would increase your depth of field and make more of the flower look sharp. Final small point - always look carefully at your subject and try and find a perfect part of the flower to photograph - the dry brown edge of the petal in the lower right is a bit distracting. Keep at it.

Cry-Nicholas Meyer
01-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks for all your reply's and comments:). I will do some editing in photoshop and see what I can do to get this image looking amazing.

-Nick

Julie Kenward
01-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Cry-Nicholas, welcome to the Macro forum! I just wanted to point out that I agree with Ed and Tony's suggestions and would also like you to check out the thread at the top of the forum about posting instructions. You gave us the basics but it would be really helpful in the future to also have the camera make and model, the lens type, and other things. Check out the post...it's on the top of the page where all the thumbnail images are and it's called "Posting Information."

Again, glad to have you join us! Keep at it and you'll be surprised at how quickly your skills will improve here!

Mike Moats
01-06-2009, 08:07 AM
Hey Cry-Nicholas, welcome to BPN and hope to see more from you. Agree with others and try shooting with natural light, your exposues will be longer but thats not a problem if your on a tripod and subject is steady.