PDA

View Full Version : Pink Gerbera #2

Ed Vatza
01-04-2009, 07:26 PM
I have this comp at a whole range of f-stops. My wife and I happen to prefer this f/5.6 version with the oof stem in the foreground. I know an oof element in the foreground is generally a no-no but with it in focus (f/22) it tends to compete for attention with the petals. So... I went with this version. Your thoughts?

Canon 30D w/ remote shutter release; Sigma 150mm Macro lens; Canon 430EX Flash w/LumiQuest Lightbox mounted on a flexible bracket; 60W incandescent lamp; Velbon Ultra-Luxis tripod.

1/2 sec @ f/5.6; ISO 200; +1 EV; AWB; FEC -1

Bruce Murden
01-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Which did you break first, a New Year's Resolution, or the No OOF In The FG Rule? Either way, good job breaking this rules. the petals just glow like crazy. I think the stem is a little large as an OOF element -- perhaps having some of the stem at the base of the flower more in focus would be a good compromise. But the comp, lighting, and saturation are excellent here.

Julie Kenward
01-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Okay, no, the stem doesn't bother me as being an OOF element because it belongs there and your eye knows it belongs there. However...that being said... :D:D:D

The colors and lighting in this are fantastic, Ed. This reminds me of the Gerbera daisy image that Roman K. did back in early spring. You both did an outstanding job of lighting up the Gerbera from the inside out. Gorgeous!

Aristotle Georgiou
01-05-2009, 06:20 AM
Great shot Ed!

I love the variation of pink colours on the pedals. Composition and lighting is excellent. My opinion, the OOF stem is a little distracting to the eye.

Well done.

Nice creation Jules

Ed Vatza
01-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Bruce, Jules, Aristotle,

Thanks for your comments, feedback, and critiques (I think those are three words for the same thing! :))

I went back and looked at the versions with greater dof which bring the stem more into focus. And I still feel this is the stronger composition. Here is my thinking/rationale. This is after all a flower. The focus should be on the petals, the color, etc. The star-shaped base (whatever that's called) adds interest so it too should be in focus. The stem is there for support. Nothing more. So I feel it should be oof. Rules are made to be broken and I feel this is one of those places.

And Jules, I appreciate the effort. But without the stem, it looks like a broken flower to me. The stem grounds it.

Bogdan Coltea
01-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Very interesting perspective and superb colors. I agree about the DOF.
Great work Ed! I like it very much.

Julie's repost looks great.

denise ippolito
01-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Ed, Like the colors and the composition-not crazy about the OOF stem but it's your call.

Julie Kenward
01-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Ah, Ed, I was just playin' with ya. I wanted to work on my liquify filter skills and your Gerbera was a perfect choice!

As I said in my first post...I don't mind the stem at all. It is where it is supposed to be and you're right, it is certainly not the part you want to emphasize. My suggestion/thought might be that next time angle it a bit differently so you get less stem in the image and more of the petals. Perhaps that would make the composition even stronger?

Ed Vatza
01-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Ah, Ed, I was just playin' with ya. I wanted to work on my liquify filter skills and your Gerbera was a perfect choice!

Jules, you folks just amaze the heck out of me with what you are able to do in post-processing. With my thimble-full of Lightroom and Photoshop skills, I always feel so inadequate. I feel like I have made a quantum leap in my macro/flora camera skills (Lilliput notwithstanding :D). But my post-processing stinks.

Oh well, As soon as the new iMac come out (next week or two), I am buying one. Then it is time to upgrade Lightroom 1 to 2 and PS7 to CS4. Then I have to take a course or something. Or send my files off to you! ;)

By the way, I took the two Pink Gerbera images (#1 & #2) into the office this morning to show and had a couple of serious inquiries on both. There was particular interest in #1. If nothing else, made me feel good.

Anita Bower
01-06-2009, 06:53 PM
I love the colors and movement and lighting of the petals. Fantastic! I also like the detail in the base of the flower. Well done. The OOF stem is a little disturbing. I think experiementing with different angles, as Jules suggested, might be worthwhile. Gerbers are such fabulous flowers to photograph!