PDA

View Full Version : Mantis (of some kind)

Rob Mckenzie
01-04-2009, 06:21 PM
I have no idea what type of mantis this is but it scared the c**p out of me. It sneaked up on me as I was leaning on the tree for support to try and get some shots of pine warblers. Needless to say the pine warbler shots were impossible with my 300mm but I did manage to get a shot of the thing that I now have nightmares about!!

It was very strange watching it climb the tree...it was a determined but very laboured climb that seemed to go on forever. It was like watching a person free climbing with ice picks.

D300 - 70-300 @ 300mm
ISO 200
1/400 @ f / 5.6
0ev

C & C always welcome - Don't go easy - I want to learn

Bruce Murden
01-04-2009, 06:47 PM
At least it's not a man-eating mantis! Here I'd like to see just a touch cropped off the bottom, so the mantis is crawling more up into the image. I like the angle of the trunk, giving the critter a ramp to crawl up. I'm a little thrown off by the OOF item on the right side (but not everyone may be). Whether it's BG or something in the FG that you shot through, it takes away from the subject for me. I'm not sure if it can be cloned out after the fact, but a very slight change in your position may have improved the right side.

Nice job for being completely startled!

Julie Kenward
01-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Rob, I agree with Bruce that the OOF element on the right side is definitely distracting from your main subject. It can be cloned out with a little patience so give it a try - if you can stand to look at that thing for that long!

I'd also suggest toning down the midtone levels just a bit - the image feels a little "light" and that might help anchor it down a bit more.

Great portrait of this mantis...whatever kind it is. You did a nice job of the DOF and getting the whole thing in focus! They are a creepy little insect, aren't they?!

denise ippolito
01-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Rob, I like the color tones and your mantis seems to be quite sharp! Agree w/ OOF strip on right and a tad off the bottom-Then I think you have a winner!! Well done!!

Ed Vatza
01-05-2009, 06:14 AM
I agree with the above comments. In addition, I keep getting the feeling that the mantis is pointed slightly away from us. That would suggest that the camera angle could be better.

Rob Mckenzie
01-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Hi everyone
Thank you very much for all the C & C
I completely agree with all of it.
I am in the process of trying to remove the stuff down the right hand side. I think it must have been something in the background that I didn't see whilst taking the shot.
It is very strange that I didn't notice this before. I think in PP I concentrate so much on the subject and making sure it is good that I miss the surroundings and how they affect the focus of the shot.
As for the crop to give the mantis somewhere to go...I completely agree and will do this along with the serious amount of cloning I have to do.
I think Ed is right also. I was very slightly looking up at the mantis when I took the shot which is why it looks pointed away from us.
Thank you all so much.
Rob