PDA

View Full Version : Orange Moth-ID Please!

denise ippolito
01-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Canon30D
70-200f/2.8 IS USM +1.4X
ISO 800
1/1000sec. at f/7.1

Shot at ENP not sure of ID but thought it looked nice

Julie Kenward
01-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Denise, you have a photo of a male Julia Heliconian butterfly there! It's a male because it has brown marks on the forewings and it's a butterfly (as opposed to a moth) because it has smooth antennae.

See...all those trips to the Botanical garden's Butterfly Festival finally pay off! Woo Hoo!

I like your composition...I think if you have the room you might take a short bit off the bottom and add the same amount to the top so the antennae don't feel crowded but its certainly fine as it is. I also think you could use another round of sharpening on the entire butterfly but not the BG.

He's one of my favorites!

denise ippolito
01-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Wow Jules I'm impressed!!! Thanks for the ID . It is a heavy crop so I'm not sure it could stand up to any more sharpening but I will see. And I thought it was just a moth!!

Gus Cobos
01-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi Lady Denise,
I agree with Julie's recommendations...I implemented the changes and boosted the contrast and saturation just slightly also selective sharpened all along the wing contour and the veins...see if this presents well with you...:cool:

denise ippolito
01-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Gus, nice job! Thanks!

Ed Vatza
01-05-2009, 06:11 AM
Nice find Denise. Like the butterfly. Like the composition. Like the crop. Gus's additional processing just makes it better.