PDA

View Full Version : Cypress Trees in Fog

Phil Ertel
01-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Cypress Trees in Fog

This image of Cypress trees with a Great Blue Heron was made at Greenfield Lake in Wilmington North Carolina on 01-Jan-2009. It was 9:44AM on an obviously fogging morning. This was the first time I had been to this location. It had been recommended for birds. The fog was very thick when I first arrived (6:30AM). I could hear birds and see ghost like images of birds but there were no legitimate bird picture opportunities. However, I did come with this picture.

I hadn’t planned on a stitched composition but after I captured the Heron and reviewed the image on the LCD I knew as a bird picture it was lacking. So I thought I would try and create a panoramic like picture using Photomerge in CS3 (this is my first try at this). This image is composed of five frames.

The pictures are pretty much full frame with a little cropped off each side. Images were converted in ACR and merged in Photoshop. The only adjustment was a minor curves adjustment to increase the contrast a little.

Thanks for looking and of course any critiques.

Regards,

Phil

Camera: 40D
Lens: Canon EF70-200mm
Focal Length: 105.0mm
Exposure: 1/160s at f/10.0
Exposure Compensation: +1
Exposure Program: Manual
Metering Mode: evaluative
ISO: 400
Flash: Did not fire
Tripod
Level bubble on camera

Fabs Forns
01-04-2009, 07:11 PM
What a mood, and to get the GBH in the right spot!
The only thing that would have improved this on, to my taste, would be a different wing position,
Placement of the bird and the rest is picture perfect.

Chris Ober
01-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Cool! Clone out the heron and I like it even more!

denise ippolito
01-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Phil, This is lovely, There is a tranquil feel to it and I love the reflection-The muted color tones are superb!!

Phil Ertel
01-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Per Chris suggestion here is the picture with out the Heron. Do folks like it better with or without? I am not sure which I prefer but am leaning toward without. Oh I also correct my copyright signature (updated the year).

I appreciate the comments and suggestion as I haven't done very many landscapes (my first post in this forum).

Thanks Much!

Phil

Fabs Forns
01-04-2009, 10:01 PM
I like it with the heron.

Russell Martin
01-04-2009, 10:20 PM
I like it with the Heron as well.

Nice job

R

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Hey Phil,
Very nice for a first post and really nice on the stitch. I too like the version with the bird........and while I agree with Fabs on the wing position......I can live with the one you have as it balances the dark stump??? nicely. Way to get the seperation in the trees and you captured a great mood! Very well done!

Judd Patterson
01-05-2009, 07:25 PM
A lovely scene...the heron is a perfect touch in my opinion. The mood here is heavy and damp and oh so beautiful. Awesome job at this new location!

Robert Amoruso
01-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Phil,

The heron is perfect and balances with that dark stump on the right. It is this balance that makes the image so the heron needs to stay. Regarding the wing position. It is AOK. It is not flat out gliding so the GBH is easily recognized for what it is. If this was a "bird image", the wing position comment has merit. In my view as long as the bird has a pleasing posture and is recongnizable, the more important aspect here is how it contributes to the image as a whole and as I mention above, it contributes greatly.

Nice work.

Phil Ertel
01-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Thanks everyone for taking the time for reviewing and providing feedback. I really appreciate your comments. The merits of whether to keep the heron in the picture or not has been especially educational.

The herons stays.

Thanks Much!!!

Phil