PDA

View Full Version : From the boat

Rob Mckenzie
01-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Taken late in the evening on a little boat that winds its way around the Fort Myers area.

B&W conversion in PP
D300 - 18-55mm @ 18mm
1/125 @ f / 3.5
+1ev
ISO 500

C & C Always appreciated - Don't go easy - Want to learn

Fabs Forns
01-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Very nice diagonal compo,, well framed. Did you add the vignette yourself?

Rob Mckenzie
01-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Hi Fabs
Thank you for your comments.
The vignette was added in PP...I wasn't sure but it seemed to add something that wasn't there previously.
Did you think it would be better without?
Rob

Fabs Forns
01-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Rob, I frequently add darker borders to pictures as a way to keep the viewers eye inside the frame. I like, but admit some people will not.

Rob Mckenzie
01-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Well...I guess that is the big thing I am learning about photography - it is incredibly subjective!!
Thank you for the heads-up!!
Rob

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Hey Rob,
I was commenting on this when I lost the connection at the hotel...I thought it was the shade......but since you added it....I am not a fan of it in this case......because you blocked out some of the pier on the very left. You have geally nice seperation everywhere else and considering you were on the boat........handled the movement well also. I may take about 1/2 the water off the bottom below the right pier wall......this will further emphasize the bridge line. It would be interesting to see a version without the vignetting.

Rob Mckenzie
01-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Hi Roman
Thank you very much for the comments.
I have added the shot without the vignette.
I wasn't quite sure what you meant about the crop of the water. I would still like to try it if you have time to explain it.
Thanks again
Rob

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Hey Rob,
Definitely no vignette for me....but we'll see what others think. Here's what i was talking about in the crop.

Rob Mckenzie
01-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Hi Roman
Ahhh... i see...it looks much better now.
Thank you for that.
Rob

Robert Amoruso
01-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Rob,

I agree with Roman on the vignette. It this case I do not like it. Even if you do them in PP, be a bit less aggressive as it would best not to make it overly noticeable.

As mentioned image is well framed with a good diagonal relationship (i.e. meeting at one end) between the bridge and the BG horizon.