PDA

View Full Version : Winter Kingfisher

Krijn Trimbos
01-04-2009, 11:52 AM
One of the most common nature photography subjects in the Netherlands. As such trying to photograph it in a different way is challenging. Yesterday I finally had my chance to photograph these beauties and went for a wintery look. Hope you think it works.

C & C are apprieciated!

Canon EOS 50D 1/250 f5 Manual
ISO 640
Canon 300mm L USM F2.8
Beanbag

Axel Hildebrandt
01-04-2009, 12:02 PM
I like this a lot. Great perch, details and the fish, including droplets and snow add to it. I also like the BG, if anything I would add a bit canvas at the top.

Krijn Trimbos
01-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks a lot for the positive comment Axel.

I was also a bit unsure about the room on top, but actually took some of for this web presentation cause of the otherwise resulting square canvas.

I gave your suggestion a try and am interested what you and the rest think of the resulting canvas form vs the more room above the head

Axel Hildebrandt
01-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Predictably, I like the repost even better. :)

Tony Whitehead
01-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Good job, Krijn, Axel has covered my points already - repost is a nice improvement.

Jerry van Dijk
01-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Hey Krijn, very nice image! My vote is for the repost!. Love the composition, the perch and the fish action. Only nit to pick is that the tail looks a little OOF.
Looks like you got pretty close to this little fellow. Were you using a hide?
Great work.

Art Kornienko
01-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Hi Krijn, I think no. 2 is better, but both are quite stunning. Colours, lighting, exposure, catch in the mouth not to mention what a hard subject to catch deserve full marks.

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Hey Krijn,
This is a phenominally beautiful image. The comp, action, smow all come together perfectly and your original presentation was perfect IMO.