flash: no
ISO: 200
exposure: 1/400
aperture: f/9
exposure compensation: 666.75

Roman Kurywczak
01-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Hey Eric,
I think you had a good idea here......so I'll offer a few things you should consider next time you are out. The idea of going for the silhouette with the diffused sun was very good......but you didn't pick a great silhouette tree......even getting closer to one....to isolate it would have worked better. This isn't always easy....but you have to look carefully.........sometimes getting lower or even lying down will work. Ideally you don't want the sun centered.......so putting it off center, in one of the rule of third positions, usually helps. When you are out in the field and see an isolated tree....remember it so that you can re-visit it when you encounter a similar situation.

Robert Amoruso
01-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Eric,

I agree with Roman here. You are on the right track and this image would have been improved it you framed it with the sun more to the left and cropped out all the dead space in the upper portion. As the larger tree is the prominent compositional element in the image, you would need to include more of it and then use the less elements, like the sun and the lower tree line to accentuate the center of interest (the large tree) and arrange them into a balanced composition.

The rule of thirds is a good starting point for balancing the composition.