PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Billed Anis All in a Row

Stephen Stephen
01-03-2009, 09:06 PM
I created this image on Dec 26 near Varadero Cuba. I had noticed a small flock (~12) of Anis near where we were staying a few days earlier so I visited the location again. As I suspected they frequented the location. I had never been exposed to these birds before so I took my time. They had been on the ground feeding but flew into this bush after several groups of people passed nearby including a couple on scooters.

I spent about 25 minutes with the flock in all and watched 5 of them gradually join together on one branch. It took quite some time before all five faced me (sort of). They didn't seem nervous about my presense and I did manage to stay within 3 metres of them for this image.

Canon 40D, Sigma 50-500mm @ 226mm Handheld. 1/320 seconds, F8, Manual control, ISO 640. no flash. ~85% of Full frame image.

This has a very busy BG and foreground but I was still pleased to capture this unusual looking group.

Fabs Forns
01-03-2009, 09:15 PM
This is amazing! Not only a great habitat, but you got great head angles on four of them and a decent profile on the fifth. The vegetation really frames them well. A beauty in my book!

Raymond Barlow
01-03-2009, 09:25 PM
ditto to Fabs comments, superb image.

Maxis Gamez
01-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Hi Stephen,

As Fab said, not easy to capture all of them with a good profile at the same time. The only thing I would do, is to remove the brown bean hanging from the top right of the frame. Good capture!

Stephen Stephen
01-04-2009, 06:16 AM
Thank you Fabs. Ray and Maxis for taking the time to comment. Maxis you're right about the brown bean pod.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Great light, details and curious looks. I also like the interaction.

Eleanor Kee Wellman
01-04-2009, 08:47 AM
The wait for this was well worth it! Good light and detail and I specially like the environment! I have to agree about the brown pod.

Stephen Stephen
01-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Thank you Axel and Eleanor.

John Chardine
01-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Absolutely brilliant Stephen. Love the balance of the image, habitat and eye contact. I would dodge the head of the bird second from left to brighten up the shadow a bit.

These are great birds with an interesting breeding system where the young associate with parents and help raise the next brood of young by feeding them.

Stephen Stephen
01-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks John. I'll probably do that and remove the brown pod when I print this one.