PDA

View Full Version : A pair to draw to!

Rob Miner
01-03-2009, 07:19 PM
D70s, auto flash, kit lens.

Fabs Forns
01-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Amazing scene! There is a significant loss of detail, is it a big crop? I also see a green cast to the image.
You could include your technical data so we can evaluate the image better.

Rob Miner
01-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Fabs, I probably should not have sent this photo in as it is a long way from the members standards. This picture was taken at night - camera and tripod outside - mechanical release from inside the house. These are wild grey foxes - not in a pen. On several nights I was able to take about 300 shots of singles, doubles and triples. My camera skills are beginner. Thank you for taking the time to view the shot.

As you pointed out it is an approximate crop of 20%.

ile: _DSC0204.NEF
File size: 5,735KB
Image counter: 360
Camera Model: NIKON D70s
Firmware: Version 2.10
Date/Time: 2005:11:19 17:44:17
Shutter speed: 1/250 sec
Aperture: 4
Exposure mode: Tv
Exposure compensation: -2
Flash: Built-in,TTL
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 200
Lens: 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5
Focal length: 31mm
Focal length: 46mm (in 35mm film)
AF mode: AF-S
Image size: 3036 x 2010
Image quality: RAW
White balance: AUTO
Color mode: MODE2
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: NONE
Contrast: Normal

Fabs Forns
01-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Don't be sorry you posted, we are all here to learn :)
Keep taking pictures and reading comments, to your work and the work of others, and you will improve for sure.

Alfred Forns
01-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Hi Rob Good set up and I'm sure you will be getting many good ones !!!

Feel free and comfortable to post your work, its the only way to improve and we all do with each post !!! One thing I noted with the tech data was the exp comp of -2 The histogram should have been way to the left from underexposure. Would try at zero comp next time. btw if you can rig an external flash there will be a huge difference, the built in flashes don't have much power. Looking forward to the next one !!!

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Wonderful captured moment and I love the composition. Not an easy task to try to capture an image at night but so glad you posted and will forward to your future posts Rob.

D. Robert Franz
01-06-2009, 11:07 AM
You have a great opportunity here. Shooting remotely as you are a smaller aperture will give you more DOF thus a better chance of having the foxes in your zone of sharpness. A simple lighting setup with 2 flashes on stands well off axis from lens will give you some great lighting without the red eye. Set you main flash 4-5' off axis to your right or left really doesn't matter and a fill light on the opposite side about the same distance with about a stop less light and your in business.

Rob Miner
01-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Many thanks for the imput. Thank you especially to Dr. Franz for the extra help he offers.

Rob.........................