PDA

View Full Version : Pink Gerbera #1

Ed Vatza
01-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Returned to the studio, well my dining room, this afternoon after stopping by the florist and picking up a red rose, orange rose and pink gerbera daisy to serve as my subjects.

Canon 30D w/ remote shutter release; Sigma 150mm Macro lens; Canon 430EX Flash w/LumiQuest Lightbox mounted on a flexible bracket; 60W incandescent lamp; Velbon Ultra-Luxis tripod.

10 sec @ f/22; ISO 200; +2 EV; AWB; FEC -1

Julie Kenward
01-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Ed, I love the composition and subject here. My question for you is this: did you intend to have this highly saturated image? If you did, then I love the look - it's almost high key in a way. If you didn't, then I'd suggest backing down on the magenta saturation just a bit.

I love it as is...as long as that is your intended vision. One other thing...just a few little white spots on the petals - might be worth cloning those out and leaving your petals unblemished.

Beautiful work as usual...:)

Ed Vatza
01-03-2009, 08:55 PM
My question for you is this: did you intend to have this highly saturated image? If you did, then I love the look - it's almost high key in a way. If you didn't, then I'd suggest backing down on the magenta saturation just a bit.

I love it as is...as long as that is your intended vision. One other thing...just a few little white spots on the petals - might be worth cloning those out and leaving your petals unblemished.

Hi Jules,

Thanks for the critique. Yes, I intended to have this highly saturated image. It represents what I see when I look at that flower. Actually I did try to back down a little on the saturation and didn't like it. It was what I saw and photographed. So I ended up leaving the saturation just as it came out of the camera. And I like it a lot! :)

I cleaned up a couple of dust spots from the sensor but alas, left a couple of flecks of dust on the petals. If you are interested in purchasing a print, I'll clean it up right now! :D

I'll have some other interesting images for the days to come. And as always, I look forward to your feedback.

Anita Bower
01-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Nice image of this gorgeous flower. I really like the composition and the close in capture. Like Jules, I thought it might be a bit oversaturated, but then, I, too, love brightly colored flowers and images. Good job!
Stopping by a florists is a great idea!

Anita Bower

Mike Moats
01-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Hey Ed, very cool comp and nice sharp details. A bit contrasty but if thats what you were going for than you did great. Agree with Jules on the white spots, if it were my image I would take the time to clean this up.

Ed Vatza
01-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks Anita. Thanks Mike.

I went back to the actual Gerbera this afternoon. The color is such a vibrant, hot pink that I think the image captures what I see when I look at the flower. Remember, I did nothing to the saturation. I did not boost it. I did not back off at all.

I also cleaned up all those white specks. Unfortunately, I can't post post it now. I've been (hopefully temporarily and briefly) denied access to edit, post attachments, access things like "member list", my PM box is shown as 100% full and so on. And I have been demoted from member to forum contributor. :(:(:( I guess I've been a bad boy!

I have some very interesting (at least I think so) images I would like to post but can't right now.

Hope this message posts.

Julie Kenward
01-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Yes, Ed, you've been bad...very, very bad. Why I heard that you don't always put your lens cap back on when you're done with your lens and word has gotten out that you are even thinking of changing over to *GASP* Nikon!!! :D:eek::D

Actually, I believe our new format is experiencing a few new bugs so hang tight...I'm sure James & Axel are working on it as we speak. Hang tight and we'll get you back up and running as soon as we can.

If anyone else is experiencing trouble please feel free to send me a PM and let me know and I'll get word to the powers that be.

Ed Vatza
01-04-2009, 05:04 PM
I'M BACK and in good graces once again! Oh, it feels sooo good!! :D:D:D

Here's the cleaned up image I spoke of.

Joe Barranco
01-15-2009, 12:12 PM
What does FEC -1 mean?

Ed Vatza
01-15-2009, 07:43 PM
What does FEC -1 mean?

FEC stands for Flash Exposure Compensation. You can adjust exposure compensation in camera (the +2EV means I overexposed by 2 stops). The FEC -1 means I underexposed the flash by one stop so I would get a harsh light falling on the flower.

Hope that helps.