PDA

View Full Version : ID Please

denise ippolito
01-03-2009, 07:01 PM
I thought this was a Blue-Winged Teal (female)-but it doesn't look like the other Blue Winged Teal in my photo library

Beth Goffe
01-03-2009, 07:40 PM
This looks like a female American Black Duck to me (the purple speculum and eye stripe give it away) but I'll defer to the experts here. :)

Jackie Schuknecht
01-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Think it is a female Mallard denise.

denise ippolito
01-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Jackie, I'm pretty sure female Mallards have orange bills

My second guess would be a Garganey

Dan Brown
01-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Hi Denise. Nice, sharp, well exposed shot. According to my National Geographic field guide 5th edition, I think that you have a female American Black Duck. You are right about female Mallard. Garganey would be much, much less likely in NA, would have orange on the sides of the bill and would have a much steeper forehead (again according to my Nat. Geo.:D).

John Chardine
01-04-2009, 08:38 AM
I name all my bird images using the 4-letter USFWS/CWS Banding Office mnemonic so for example an American Black Duck image in my system might be ABDU_0234.cr2. I mention this only to say that I still have a few files that are named IMG_1234.cr2 because of ID questions and many of them look like this bird! Female ducks are tough!

I think this is an immature Mallard. An American Black Duck would have a much darker body and dull grey/greenish bill. This one has orange bits along the side of the bill but is not like an older female which would have more orange and dark areas in the centre portion of the bill- hence I think an immature bird. Note the reddish tinge to the breast of this one- again a Mallard feature. Blue-winged Teals are petite and females have a distinctive looking face with white eye ring. The "blue-wing" comes from a large patch of "powder blue" on the inner forewing, not the "speculum" of ducks which is actually made up of the secondary flight feathers. I've posted a couple of images of these species for comparision. First an American Black Duck family likely containing late-stage young from 2008. Then a female Blue-winged Teal.

John Chardine
01-04-2009, 08:43 AM
From Sackville Waterfowl Park, summer 2008. For comparative purposes only- not one I would submit to Avian Image Critiques!

denise ippolito
01-04-2009, 09:35 AM
The black duck does look darker than the duck I submitted -She was swimming w/ her ducklings-would posting a shot of her ducklings help w/ ID?

John Chardine
01-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Not really Denise, although it might help a waterfowl expert. Maybe I was a bit more circumspect in my species pronouncement than I should have been. Here goes again- it is my strong belief that this is a Mallard!

Nonda Surratt
01-05-2009, 06:29 AM
Some mallards from July..No post on this for obvious reasons just kept it around for ID. The same group, in a bit different light, more orange shows up on the one female bill.

denise ippolito
01-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Nonda, Thanks! I think that clears it up.

Wayne Richardson
01-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Hi Denise

I agree with all those who have ID’d your duck as a Mallard. However, the mainly dark bill & general ‘gawky’ appearance suggests a juvenile to me & not an adult female.

<O:p
Cheers: <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/ /><st1:City w:st=</st1:City><ST1:pWayne

denise ippolito
01-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Do juveniles have ducklings? Feel stupid asking but not sure

John Chardine
01-05-2009, 06:48 PM
No Denise, they breeding at one year old. A duckling in 2008 would breed in 2009.

Wayne Richardson
01-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Do juveniles have ducklings? Feel stupid asking but not sure

Hi Denise

No, but you can have ducklings of different ages hanging around together & sometimes without any adults. Some mother ducks are also prone to 'ducklingnapping' so can have a mixed aged brood. I've even seen a Mallard with Tufted Duck youngsters in tow!!:eek:

Cheers: Wayne

PS: Your question was not certainly not stupid & definitely worth seeking an answer.

John Chardine
01-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks Wayne. You make some very good points and yes, there's no such thing as a "stupid" question here!!! There are all valuable.

denise ippolito
01-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Thankyou everyone for taking the time to respond. It has been very educational for me!

Juan Carlos Vindas
01-07-2009, 09:42 PM
From Sackville Waterfowl Park, summer 2008. For comparative purposes only- not one I would submit to Avian Image Critiques!

Ay mama!
Hey John, that's a bird I would love to see in person! great picture and details. I only wish to see the whole thing but is fine.