PDA

View Full Version : More smoke -- Lost Souls

Jim Poor
01-20-2008, 01:44 PM
I have never posted this one publicly yet because I think it might be a little dark (and my favorite color is black.

I call it Lost Souls, but for now I'll refrain from commenting on whom or what I see in the image.

Once again this was taken with the D2X and 105mm
The smoke is from incense cones and the color comes from two SB-R200s with red gels.
One flash was behind the smoke at an angle away from the black BG and one was to the side more or less parallel to the BG with a piece of glossy construction paper on the wall opposite.

I did a slight crop and some NR in CS3. All the eyes, ears and other facial features were in the original RAW file, but on one of them, I burned the features just a hair to make them darker.

Fabs Forns
01-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Well, I see flamingos on both counts, love the effects, may try that sometime :)

Alfred Forns
01-21-2008, 12:14 AM
Love the creativity here Jim !!!! One thing is to think out the image and the other to execute I see two clear faces Actually left is half a body Spooky !!!

murray rothstein
01-21-2008, 01:52 AM
I like this very much. The color evokes very strong emotions, especially against the black BG. I possibly would like it even better without the faces because that way the viewer is not prompted to interpret in a certain direction leaving the imagination freer reign.
However it's great as is.

Jim Poor
01-21-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi and thanks everyone.

Here's what I see. On the left is the "Grim Reaper" from the waist up with his right arm hanging down. To our right and slightly higher is a man, also from the waist up with what looks like an expression of terror on his face. Far right center I find some sort of monkey faced critter complete with horns. Above and below the "monkey" are two more sorta weird face like images. I get the feeling of the grim reaper sucking away these lost souls into eternity. Like I said, "dark."

Murray,

I get what you mean about faces, but in this case they were not added to the image. They all were there to start, but I burned the "eyes" and the shadow area of the "hood" on the grim reaper guy,

Michael Pancier
01-21-2008, 09:55 AM
I love it and saw the lost souls in the image as well. I need to try some more smoke images. they are addicting.

Jim Poor
01-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Yes they are! They keep the creative juices flowing too.