PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Bird Photography DESIGN

Chad Griggs
01-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Hello everyone! This is my first post on the website and I hope to be an active member on here. I'm fairly new to bird photography. I just got my first 500mm (Sigma 150-500) lens this fall so its the first time I've been able to get the distance needed.

Anyway, I'm building a house and want to set up my yard for backyard bird photography. I was wondering if I could get some tips as to how to get started.

Also, there is a possibility that the only lot available in our pricerange will be facing north. I live in Minnesota so in the winter the sun is basically out of the south all day. That feel like its going to be a problem, although I guess I can plan to set up flash units (which I don't know much about)

I looks like the backyard doesn't come with any trees so its a blank canvas.

Thanks!

James Prudente
01-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Having a blank slate is probably a good thing. Contact your state wildlife agency and see if they have a backyard habitat program. Most wildlife agencies have a great deal of information on plantings for food, cover, nesting, etc. Native plant materials are the best bet to attract and hold species that live in or migrate through your area. Plan your plantings to afford you locations to set up your camera gear and perches for the lighting that will be present throughout the day. Locate perches near feeder stations and water features to get the most opportunities for your images. A bird list for your area will help you decide on the types of habitat to establish in your yard.

Have fun,

Jim

Chad Griggs
01-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll look into our DNR and see what they have.

*edit, the house we are looking at is facing *south. So it's like the backyard will be shadowed most of the day in the winter for sure.

Beth Goffe
01-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi Chad. Take a look at Birding for Dummies by Bill Tompson, III. It sounds silly but the book has a chapter devoted to building a bird-friendly backyard. He's the editor of Bird Watcher's Digest so he really knows his stuff. You might also check for nurseries that specialize in native plant species. As an apartment-dweller, I envy the potential you have to attract birds to your yard. Good luck on this project!

Art Peslak
01-03-2009, 05:09 PM
This is a long term project that requires continual work and care especially with no trees on your lot. The trees provide shelter and a place for the birds to nest. The prior suggestions about planting non-invasive species is a good one. I would start with some trees that grow relatively fast. Mulberry trees grow fast and provide attractive berries for a variety of birds. I don't know how well they grow in your area however. I would also plant some native berry bushes as well. Another thing to consider is planting a variety of plants and shrubs that provide food that matures throughout the spring and summer to keep the birds there all season long.

We had a lot of trees on our property when we first moved in and it still took 5 to 6 years to regularly attract a large number of birds and different species. I knew my yard had finally arrived when I started regularly attracting Coopers Hawks to pick off the birds that hang around the feeders in my yard.

Its hard work but rewarding when it finally pays off. Good luck.

Chad Griggs
01-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks for all of the information and I'll be looking into everything suggested. Has anybody sucessfully delt with a shadowy backyard for bird photography? This is becoming a bit of a concern for me.

Rocky Sharwell
01-05-2009, 01:11 PM
As I recall, tthere is some really good information in the Art of Bird Photography II--about perch set up and selection--and other things related to backyard photography.

Chad Griggs
01-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks, I'll check that out.

Robert Strickland
01-09-2009, 10:28 AM
My backyard is small but has some trees. The tree insures safety for the birds as well as a place to perch before coming to the feeders. I set up several different feeders with different seeds in each. I also made sure I had a water source. Water is the most important aspect to a backyard feeding station. I use a birdbath, which provides drinking water as well as a place to bathe and soak. I also have some Turks cap bushes and some Mexican sunflower bush. The birds to perch on before coming to the feeder use these bushes. I also set up another perch with no leaves as well. I set up the feeding / watering station next to my shed where as I used it for a blind. I just sit in the shed with my equipment and wait. I get some great shots, which I introduce on this site.

This is where I captured the Bathing Cardinal that Won first prize in the National Wildlife Federation (NWF) Photo contest in the Amateur division for Backyard Habitat. That day the Northern Cardinal came to the birdbath to drink and bathe. After a small, drink the cardinal decided to take a bath, splashing water everywhere. Suddenly he just stopped and let all his feathers fall, did not move and soaked up the water letting his down feathers collect water.

<O:pI hope this helps.:cool:

Anita Rakestraw
01-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Hey, Chad, except for lack of trees, you've got it made - you can set up any way you want!! When we moved onto our property 6 or 7 years ago - there was basically only one small tree - and no birds to be seen. I immediately claimed the one small crab apple tree and put out a bird bath and feeders under it. In no time at all, we had lots of birds visiting there - they were almost all sparrows and species of blackbirds at first....but it didn't take very long to attract numerous others, and I added feeders on the decks and near bushes on one side of the garage the following year. We've planted a number of fast-growing trees, but they're all still small. However, there are nests in a couple of them already. We have probably a dozen, at least, different species now who visit regularly, including hawks and falcons and the occasional owl. There are a couple locations where there are bushes - lilacs and something else - where small birds regularly take shelter from the heat and cold and from predators. It's amazing how quickly birds will find your offerings; just put them out! Including hummingbird feeders. Hummers found our feeders within a day! This past spring, I put up purple martin houses - altho I'd never seen a purple martin on our property - the first purple martins moved in within an hour!! So it's not hopeless just because you have no trees. (-: Watch where you put stuff so that you have decent backgrounds for photography, and also so you have good locations to shoot from.

Joseph Martines
01-10-2009, 04:09 PM
The only thing I seem to attract is squirrels!!

They eat the feed before the birds can get to it.

One of the problems of living in a squirrel infested city!!