PDA

View Full Version : Nyika Plateau, Malawi - aerial view

Per-Gunnar Ostby
01-03-2009, 02:45 PM
One of the more unknown but beautiful places in Africa, the Nyika Plateau in northern Malawi looks far more like the Scottish highlands than our idea of Africa.

Not huge amounts of wildlife, though I did get good shots of Side-striped Jackal (including cubs for the first time!), Roan, Common Duiker and Reedbuck. But the landscape is stunning.

This shot was through the plexiglass of the plane winging me south.

1Ds MK3
17-40 f4L at 20mm
1/320s at f8
Av

denise ippolito
01-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Very nice, esp. considering it was taken thru plexiglass! I love the overall look it is so wide-open and surreal-The line leads you all the way thru the shot!

Roman Kurywczak
01-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Hey Per-Gunnar,
As denise mentioned I do like the line leading through the image and the patches of greenery. You may want to boost the contrast using USM at 30 amount 60 radius and 0 threshold. This will get rid of the haze or film on the window. Nicely composed from an airplane.

Per-Gunnar Ostby
01-04-2009, 03:26 AM
Thanks Roman for the tip - it definitely gives it a boost!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
01-04-2009, 05:20 AM
Hi PG!
I too love this, especially the greens and mauves in the wooded areas in the botton of the frame.
Happy travels!
Regards,
Nicki

Robert Amoruso
01-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Per-Gunnar,

Composed well with a great leading line (the road) and good placement of the greenery. My first thought was local contrast enhancement but I see that Roman mentioned that.