PDA

View Full Version : Acorn Tops

Mike Moats
01-03-2009, 08:44 AM
While out shooting my leaves in ice series I found these acorn top on the beach. I decided to shoot these a little different than my usual stopped down f/32 eveything in focus look. A little more abstract feel. What do you think?

Fuji S5, Sigma 180, Tripod, Natural Light, Tripod, F/4

Jerry van Dijk
01-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Hey Mike, nice find! I like the symmetry in of the acorns, even though the two in the back are OOF. I also like how the colors of the subject match the surrounding sand. Interesting that you chose to cut of the acorns in the BG at the edge of the frame. I think it works really well.
- Jerry -

denise ippolito
01-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Mike, I like the natural color tones and the pattern created by the acorns! I guess if you look closely there are patterns to almost everything! nicely done.

Julie Kenward
01-03-2009, 06:17 PM
I can't tell you how many of these I looked at photographing this fall and never got an image I liked as much as this one. Maybe I need a beach?

I love the sand beneath the front acorn - the way the graininess plays against the pattern on the acorn heads. The tones and comp are beautiful as well although I find myself wanting to straighten the front acorn (yes, I'm funny that way!)

Mike Fuhr
01-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Great image -- it really gives me that feeling of taking a REAL close look at the acorns on my hand. Nice detail.

Bruce Murden
01-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Mike, nice job breaking your f/32 mold. Just enough focus on the top of the front acorn.

Ed Vatza
01-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi Mike,

Been looking at this one for a while. I'm just not sure I'm diggin' it. To borrow a line from the bird board, I keep feeling it needs some CCW rotation. I also feel like it needs a bit more dof. Not necessarily f/32 but a bit more. Just my thoughts.

Anita Bower
01-06-2009, 02:26 PM
I've come back to this image several times, and still have the same feeling about it. I like the colors, details, patterns, textures and exposure. However, the overall image doesn't work for me. My eye keeps wandering to the center of the 3 acorn caps, but that area is out of focus. I also feel troubled by the out of focus area in the foreground, the area below the sharply focused cap. I can't figure out what it is and I want it to be more substantial. It is odd that I should feel this way about this image since I usually like macros with only one part in focus!

Anita Bower