PDA

View Full Version : Tricolored Heron - Varadero Cuba

Stephen Stephen
01-02-2009, 12:35 PM
This is another image that I created last week while in Cuba. It was the first time that I had an opportunity to photograph this species and I was able to do at different times, here in late afternoon light, over several days.

I hadn't realised that this species was so small yet had such a long bill.

Canon EOS 40D, Sigma 50-500mm at 500mm, 1/1600 seconds, F7.1, Manual control, ISO 500, Flash not fired
White Balance - Auto

Cropped to about 80% of full frame. I like the eye contact and BG but it looks like it needs some noise reduction in the BG on my uncalibrated office monitor. The eye might need some selective sharpening as well.

joel quenneville
01-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Wow! nice detail in the feathers, great light and good head angle/eye contact. The only problem for me is that dark spike in the BG that comes down behind the bill. This is a minor problem. Otherwise this is great. Good job.

P.S. I also like the framing of the bird, you have a nice compositional balance.

Chris van Rooyen
01-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Striking photo of a striking species!I agree that a slight bit of background noise reduction could improve it even more.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Great light, head angle and details. I agree regarding NR and find the dark areas in the BG a bit distracting.

Stephen Stephen
01-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Thank you Joel Chris and Axel. The light areas in the BG are from the reflections of OOF palm trees on the dark water of the lagoon.