XSi/450D
18-55mm at 27mm
tripod:no
flash: yes
Crop: none
exposure: 1/200
aperture: f/25
iso: 400

I know this photograph isn't good, but i just didnt know how to make it better besides removing the dust spot so i need some help.

Judd Patterson
01-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Hey Eric, this is a tough one given the clear sky and time of day (mid morning/afternoon). This looks like a classic spot to revisit after a severe winter storm where the landscape is painted in snow and ice...or perhaps on an evening where the sunset adds colorful clouds to the scene. Given the conditions in this image I do like your choice to include a sunburst to add interest. You don't mention your aperture, but you might have been able to tighten the sunburst with a smaller aperture (higher f number). Keep experimenting!

Eric Driver
01-02-2009, 04:41 PM
thanks judd...and yes this spot does look good after its been forzen, in fact, i just got back from photographing there today and the whole thing was solid ice.

Roman Kurywczak
01-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Hey Eric,
Judd has given you some great advice. The earlier or later times of the day provide much more interesting light with the way the cast shadows and add overall drama to the scene. As he mentioned...by adding the sunburst....you did add interest to the bland sky but then you also had to deal with the harshness of the sun angle.....much earlier.....when the sun was just rising above the trees.....may have helped you be more succesful.....as the exposure is a bit easier to control.....but with the clear sky...still a tough situation......better to have a few clouds or haze.
In the future....post the technical information...fstop/speed ISO.....and this will help us even more when we evaluate an image for possible solutions.

Robert Amoruso
01-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Eric,

I think you have gotten some good advice on how to maximize this site in the future.