PDA

View Full Version : Mighty Ottawa River

Daniel Cadieux
01-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Taken this morning in rather coolish -20C temperature. This section of the Ottawa River never freezes over because of its strong current. In contrast, near shore, I am lying flat on about 12 inches of ice. Lots of fog/vapour/haze creating an odd effect on the distant trees and waves.

Canon 40D + 100-400L @400mm, aperture priority, eval metering, 1/320s., f/13, ISO 400, +0.33 EC, handheld, full frame left-to-right.

Judd Patterson
01-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Cool Daniel! The extreme cold has created a warped air effect much like heat will do! I like your composition with the rock on the left side and the positioning of the trees in the background...nice work showing some extreme conditions (and bonus points for crawling on ice). :)

Roman Kurywczak
01-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Hey Daniel,
I agree with Judd.....very nicely done balancing the image with the rock with just the right amount of room on the left treeline opening to create a nice flowing composition. Judging by the sky....it appears that you cropped down on it....which effectively emphasized the tree line comp even further. Nicely done all around and as Judd said.....extra bonus points for crwling on the ice!

Robert Amoruso
01-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Daniel,

Composition with the FG left rock and BG trees is perfect and balance each other well. This is one of those times that a fast shutter speed on the water (I am a fan of slow to get that silky affect) is the way to go as it just screams cold. Nice work.